Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kids belong to communities according to Melissa Harris Perry

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 225 Replies
1 mom liked this

MSNBC-Melissa Harris-Perry says "kids belong to whole communities"

WASHINGTON, April 7, 2013 – Melissa Harris-Perry, an African American professor at Tulane has endorsed the concept of human ownership; by the state.

This is not the first time that Harris-Perry has offered her opinion on the value of children, referring to the fertilized egg or, zygote, as “a thing” after dramatically breaking apart a plastic model of a woman’s reproductive system.

Choosing to air what should be the story line for a horror movie, or perhaps a documentary about Hitler, Stalin or Mao Zedong, MSNBC is apparently offering their tactile approval of the “Lean Forward” spot.

“We have never invested as much in public education as we should have because we’ve always had a private notion of children, your kid is yours and totally your responsibility. We haven’t had a very collective notion of these are our children.

So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families and recognize that kids belong to whole communities.

Once it’s everybody’s responsibility and not just the household’s we start making better investments.”

While I very rarely hear anyone use the term “ownership” when referring to their children, if it would be applicable in any context, it would be the parents that would fulfill that role. The claim of Ms. Harris-Perry that “kids do not belong to their parents, kids belong to whole communities”, should infuriate every American.

These are the people that are teaching our children.

This is truly one of the most disturbing things I have heard in quite some time.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mhaney03
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

This woman is in the top 10 of most offensive people on earth.  Did you see her bloody tampon earrings?

Murffsmom
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Lol.....I think she needs a bandaid!!!!!..... She must have fell down and bumped her head!!!!!

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM

My children are my and my husbands responsiblity.  It is our job to help them guide them but the do not "belong" to us.. they did not come with ownership papers. We are the ones responsible for feeding, housing, guiding, educating them.  It is my and my husband's job to invest in them.

My children to "belong" to the US, the state we live in, the school district we live in etc.

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I saw clean ones in her ears unfortunately.  You can not unsee that.

I can't stand her or the crap she tries to stir.

Quoting mhaney03:

This woman is in the top 10 of most offensive people on earth.  Did you see her bloody tampon earrings?

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Public schools are well funded.  All the funds in the world is not going to correct the social/ family issues that is making our schools decline.

Seracake
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM
23 moms liked this

Does anybody not understand the crux of her statement? She's not saying kids "literally" belong to communities or that communities are more important than the family structure BUT rather our kids would benefit from a unified community more than one that only looks out for those within its four walls. Just look at the woman who left her kids in the car while going to a job interview. If she had a supportive community behind her, her situation could have turned out completely different. Christ on a cracker...get over your disdain for the woman delivering the message and listen to the actual message.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM
10 moms liked this

That's the most impressive willful misinterpretation I've read in quite a while. 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Hence the need for a strong community.  

Quoting supermonstermom:

Public schools are well funded.  All the funds in the world is not going to correct the social/ family issues that is making our schools decline.

Rhodin
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I'm sure a community would be like family. They pass your cuddleface around like a football,but as soon as he poops, it's right back to mom.
supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Seracake:

Does anybody not understand the crux of her statement? She's not saying kids "literally" belong to communities or that communities are more important than the family structure BUT rather our kids would benefit from a unified community more than one that only looks out for those within its four walls. Just look at the woman who left her kids in the car while going to a job interview. If she had a supportive community behind her, her situation could have turned out completely different. Christ on a cracker...get over your disdain for the woman delivering the message and listen to the actual message.

I get her message. I think its dangerous.

Where I live I look out for my neighbors and they do the same, but that doesn't mean my neighbors children belong to me or even the neighborhood.  People generally look out for each other because it human nature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)