Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Religious Bigot Ordered To Pay 1.6 Million For Harassing Lesbian Employee

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

Religious Bigot Ordered To Pay 1.6 Million For Harassing Lesbian Employee

Mexican restaurant chain owner, Edward Globokar, was ordered to pay Chef Mirella Salemi $1.6 million in compensatory and punitive damages by a New York judge today. Salemi, a lesbian who worked at a restaurant named “Mary Ann’s,” reported that Globokar would order his staff to attend weekly prayer meetings, where he would say that gays were “sinful” and “going to hell.” Can’t you feel that Christian love?

Unsurprisingly, Salemi couldn’t, either. That was why she filed the lawsuit against Globokar, Gloria’s Tribeca Inc., and Gloria’s Tribecamex, under the New York City Human Rights Law.

Salemi also reported that Globokar instructed her to dress more feminine and that she should marry a man and have children. The list of his abuse goes on. A three-judge panel of the Appellate Division’s Manhattan-based First Department affirmed an earlier verdict by writing:

Additional evidence demonstrated that as a result of Globokar’s improper conduct, plaintiff was retaliated against for objecting to his offensive comments, choosing not to attend workplace prayer meetings and refusing to fire another employee because of his sexual orientation.

Globokar claimed that he was, “exercising his first amendment right” to bully Salemi.  The trial court rejected that claim:

“The trial court properly protected Globokar’s First Amendment rights by instructing the jury that he had ‘a right to express his religious beliefs and practice religion, providing that he does not discriminate against his employees based on religion or sexual orientation.”

This may be news to some, including Globokar, but you can’t discriminate against and bully your employees and call it “freedom of speech”.  No, that does not mean you’re persecuted. It means if you’re an employer, you have to be a civil member of a multicultural and religiously pluralistic society.

by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MollyIsMetal
by on Mar. 31, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
People are ridiculous. I'll never understand how anyone could be so hateful.
rotPferd
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Why continue working there when u don't agree/like the policies? Waitress jobs are a dime a dozen. Or is it because people are so sue happy? Yeah, I'll stay and take the abuse and when I get enough "evidence", I'll just take ur ass to court, get a big settlememnt and retire.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:38 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting rotPferd:

Why continue working there when u don't agree/like the policies? Waitress jobs are a dime a dozen. Or is it because people are so sue happy? Yeah, I'll stay and take the abuse and when I get enough "evidence", I'll just take ur ass to court, get a big settlememnt and retire.

Seems right, coming from some, blame her in all of this and dismiss his actions.

I might stick around and build a case against someone as awful as this man.  I may very well do so with the intent to sue him and his business.  It would not be about the money for me but about proving to him that he is wrong and legally cannot get away with what he does.

Had she left and found another 'dime a dozen' position he would have continued to treat people the way he does, hiding behind his Bible while doing so.  She may very well have run in to this else where. She still may considering there are still far too many people out there like this man.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I'm not blaming her. I just don't understand why ppl would put up with something they disagree with unless they had an agenda or felt the need to prove a point. Why bother?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:45 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting rotPferd:

I'm not blaming her. I just don't understand why ppl would put up with something they disagree with unless they had an agenda or felt the need to prove a point. Why bother?

Perhaps the point was to ensure this horrible individual stops doing what he is doing.  That point is a pretty big one.  I don't blame her one bit.  If this stops others for fear of being sued............good.  Something needs to get through to people that they can't treat others like this all the while hiding behind that Bible.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:48 AM
4 moms liked this

To stop him from doing it to others?  It is sad that there are people like you who would just tuck tail and run, not caring in the least how many other people get hurt after you, just to avoid standing up for your right to be treated like a human being by your employer.

Quoting rotPferd:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Quoting rotPferd:

Actually, I think if one truly felt that this person's practices needed to be addressed, walking away would be taking the easy way-

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:50 AM
6 moms liked this

Did you read the actual post?  I'm guessing you didn't as it states quite early on she was a Chef at this restaurant.   Are chef jobs a dime a dozen as well in your world?  They certainly aren't here in mine.  

As for why people sue, she had every right to sue as the man was breaking the law.  I find it strange that people seem to think it's okay for people to violate the law when it is happening where they can't see it.  

Quoting rotPferd:

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Jobs are not always a dime a dozen.

Quoting rotPferd:

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Why should she have to quit her job and take a financial hit? He was in the wrong, not her, so why should she pay the consequences for HIS actions? I think she was right for speaking up. Maybe he learned something from all of this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)