Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

10-Year-Old Girl Shot to Death Where She Should Have Been Safest

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 91 Replies

10-Year-Old Girl Shot to Death Where She Should Have Been Safest

by Kiri Blakeley

A 10-year-old girl in Washington, Pennsylvania, was in the safest place she could be -- her home. But it turned out to be the most unsafe place she could possibly be. As she innocently walked from her bedroom to her mother's room, the unfathomable happened. A bullet came through the home's door and ripped through her skull. The little girl died and no one knows why.

Police believe that someone fired on the house from outside -- but why? Little Taniyah Thomas's mother had reportedly been arrested on drug charges in January. Her live-in boyfriend had also reportedly had drug-related convictions in the past. But police have yet to say whether they think this had anything to do with the home being targeted by a gunman.

Taniyah had everything going for her. She was smart, outgoing, a cheerleader, and popular at school.

Police believe that the gunmen or gunman forced their way in the apartment building downstairs. When they couldn't get into Taniyah's apartment, they shot through the door. Everyone was asleep at the time, except Taniyah, who had gotten up around 4 a.m. to walk into her mother's room. Investigators think she may have heard the commotion and gotten up to get help or comfort from her mother.

Unfortunately, that sealed her doom.

This is a little girl who was where she was supposed to be -- in her home. Safe in her home. Safe with her mother, her little brother. And now her very promising, bright life is snuffed out because some disgusting cowards decided to shoot through a door, having absolutely no idea whom they might hit. I hope they see these news reports and are overwhelmed with guilt. Maybe enough guilt to turn themselves in. Horrific.

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Very sad
lga1965
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
How horribly sad.
( but we don't need gun control....just ask the NRA )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzgirl205
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

This just shows us that leading a disreputable life affects one's family in disasterous ways.   People may say, "It's my life," but it really isn't.  Because of this little girl's death, our whole society suffers.

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:23 AM
9 moms liked this

How would gun control prevent this?    You really think the person shooting the gun would go through the legal channels?

Quoting lga1965: How horribly sad. ( but we don't need gun control....just ask the NRA )

Outspoken.Mime
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Exactly.  Her parents are drug addicts.  The people they associate with would have guns no matter what.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How would gun control prevent this?    You really think the person shooting the gun would go through the legal channels?

Quoting lga1965: How horribly sad. ( but we don't need gun control....just ask the NRA )

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM

This.

Quoting jazzgirl205:

This just shows us that leading a disreputable life affects one's family in disasterous ways.   People may say, "It's my life," but it really isn't.  Because of this little girl's death, our whole society suffers.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM

No words....................

LuvmyAiden
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

This is why you must be careful who you associate with as a parent. I know bad things happen all the time but these people put their family at an increased risk because of their lifestyle. You lay down with dogs, you get fleas. This poor child.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM

this is a truly sad story. and I'm seriously not surprised at who the posters are who are basically saying she got what she deserved because of her parents issues. Nice but thanks for showing up your character but I actually believed you the first thousand times you expressed such sentiments.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think she got what she deserved because of her Mom's actions.  But I do question how "safe" one thinks a child can be living in a situation like that.  "Safe with Mommy" while Mom is on drugs, dealing with shady people to get said paraphenilia?  While a live-in boyfriend is also in the drug scene?  Her Mom wasn't a safe person to be with, and that made the home an unsafe place to be.

I also know this will put out a cry for gun control.  But I strongly feel like IF they find the gunman, he won't have gotten it by legal means, anyways.  I don't believe more laws on guns would have prevented this, and I find is shameful the people who will use this senseless death to further a political agenda.

The real "issues" in this article, IMO:
1.  Why were children allowed to remain in a home with so many drug incidents documented?  How long ago were these "drug convictions" the boyfriend had, especially if Mom was just arrested in January?  What drugs are we talking about, anyways?
2.  Societal issues.  Honestly, whenever a child dies there is nothing but a bright future ahead of them.  But growing up in that environment, would she have really stood much of a chance?  What can be done to prevent these endless cycles in some of these areas?  Was she ever scared or influenced?  Did she have safe people to reach out to?  Safe places to go if both adults were strung out?  Was this a random robbery attempt gone very much awry, or a product of the lifestyle?  And if it's a product of the lifestyle, how can it be changed in the future to help keep people and homes safe?

Quoting mikiemom:

this is a truly sad story. and I'm seriously not surprised at who the posters are who are basically saying she got what she deserved because of her parents issues. Nice but thanks for showing up your character but I actually believed you the first thousand times you expressed such sentiments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)