Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School District Holds First Official Integrated Prom (And Yes, You Are Reading This In 2014)

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 46 Replies

School District Holds First Official Integrated Prom (And Yes, You Are Reading This In 2014)

A Georgia school district is just holding its first racially integrated prom.

This past weekend, Wilcox County High School in Rochelle sponsored a prom for both black in white students. In the past the school has not sponsored proms, but instead allowed parents to sponsor segregated, invitation-only events.

Last year, a group of students organized a prom for students of all colors, although the school did not officially hold the event. The students raised money for the event via social media.

"Love really has no color, and I want everybody to know that if you stand up for something you believe in only positive things can come from it," Mareshia Rucker, a 2013 prom organizer told WMAZ-TV said at the time.

While the school has certainly taken a step forward by holding the integrated prom, some students do not feel that everyone at the school has been supportive of the event.

"I'm absolutely sure that there are teachers that are still in the system right now that are at my school and they still don't want an integrated prom," Rucker told The Indy Channel over the weekend.

Wilcox County High School was first integrated during the 1970s, per The New York Times.

A representative for the school could not be reached for comment.

by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this
This is disgusting. Same thing in.2004 at a Durham,NC high school when they finally had an.integrated prom. It's hard to believe people are still racist inthe 21st century. I bet there are still some schools in.small towns that have segregated proms. They probably have some pathetic reasons to justify it too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Shocking.
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM
That's insane that this is the first integrated prom. I hope it all goes well and that anyone opposed to it joins the rest of us in civilized society soon.
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I would like to say I am surprised but I am not. sigh

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Is that the one that Morgan Freeman did the documentary on?

Quoting lga1965: This is disgusting. Same thing in.2004 at a Durham,NC high school when they finally had an.integrated prom. It's hard to believe people are still racist inthe 21st century. I bet there are still some schools in.small towns that have segregated proms. They probably have some pathetic reasons to justify it too.

lga1965
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM
I don't know. That sounds interesting. I'll check on that !

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Is that the one that Morgan Freeman did the documentary on?

Quoting lga1965: This is disgusting. Same thing in.2004 at a Durham,NC high school when they finally had an.integrated prom. It's hard to believe people are still racist inthe 21st century. I bet there are still some schools in.small towns that have segregated proms. They probably have some pathetic reasons to justify it too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad these students were able to effect change within their town. It really does still shock me that this crap is still going on in this day and age. It is uplifting though that the younger generation is trying to do something about it.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Not surprised at all, I am glad they were able to accomplish this

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM

That is just really... really... sad.

***shakes head***

mlpcrusader
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I just moved to nc 7 months ago and someone told me that they still have racially separate proms here. We live near Fayetteville. It blew my mind!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)