Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My Current Event

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 12 yr old DS is getting tonsil stones. Hes had some pretty bad bouts of tonsilitis over the yrs and theres not a pediatrician around that will take them out unless he has 5 occurences in a year. He usually has 2 but they're so bad he cant eat solid foods

3 weeks ago he started developing a sore throat with out cold/allergy symptoms and said it felt like something was scratching the side of his tongue, upon inspection I saw a little whitish yellow thing poking out of the tonsil. I used a qtip to rub it off and when I pushed against the tonsil 3 of them popped out.

The dr says they're of no concern unless they interfere with eating and such.

Has anyone dealt with these before?
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Wtf? Lol

Did he explain what they are?
lga1965
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM
I had little white chunks in my tonsils when I was a teen but I didn't pop them out. My mom ignored things like that and thought I.just wanted attention so.I didn't mention them to her. I have no idea what they were. But my.throat hurt so much I didn't want to eat. I was skinny back then. LOL. Are they a symptom of strep throat.?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM
They are tonsoliths. Little bits of food get caught. They can get large and cause bad breath. Gargling salt water can help get rid of them. Gargling (even plain water) after eating (even snacks) helps prevent them. Adequate water intake is important also, to ensure the mucosal tissue is not too dry.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:19 AM

That is weird because oral hygeine is a pet peeve I have. They floss, gargle, brush daily. I wonder if their mouth is too clean and theres no good bacteria to fight.

The Dr. did mention the salt water and it seems to be working. Hopefully it eliminates them.

Thanks for the infor!

Quoting jllcali: They are tonsoliths. Little bits of food get caught. They can get large and cause bad breath. Gargling salt water can help get rid of them. Gargling (even plain water) after eating (even snacks) helps prevent them. Adequate water intake is important also, to ensure the mucosal tissue is not too dry.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:22 AM

He wasn't able to swallow without discomfort the first few days, gargling salt water seems to have helped.

From what I'm reading in the halls of google, is that the tonsils work with the immune system and over the years tonsils have stopped doing their job properly and seems to be a rise in people who are developing sore throats and more colds.

Quoting lga1965: I had little white chunks in my tonsils when I was a teen but I didn't pop them out. My mom ignored things like that and thought I.just wanted attention so.I didn't mention them to her. I have no idea what they were. But my.throat hurt so much I didn't want to eat. I was skinny back then. LOL. Are they a symptom of strep throat.?

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:04 AM
You're welcome.

Some people are more prone to them than others. It could possibly be contributed to by allergies. The nasopharynx gets swollen or occluded or partially occluded and isn't able to filter out particulate (dust, pollen etc) and matter gets through to the oropharynx, or because of the swelling/occlusion, a person breathes more through the mouth which does not filter out particulates and dries out the oral mucosa.

Quoting -Celestial-:

That is weird because oral hygeine is a pet peeve I have. They floss, gargle, brush daily. I wonder if their mouth is too clean and theres no good bacteria to fight.

The Dr. did mention the salt water and it seems to be working. Hopefully it eliminates them.

Thanks for the infor!

Quoting jllcali: They are tonsoliths. Little bits of food get caught. They can get large and cause bad breath. Gargling salt water can help get rid of them. Gargling (even plain water) after eating (even snacks) helps prevent them. Adequate water intake is important also, to ensure the mucosal tissue is not too dry.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Yes. I get them a lot and it's worse when I eat a lot of starchy foods( bread especially). I just try to be sure to brush and gargle frequently, and I use a bobby pin to grab them out if they get too big but won't come out. They smell awful too!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN