Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Forget Education, Go Marry You A Man!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM
  • 42 Replies
GOP To Women: Forget Education, Go Marry You A Man! (Video)

To close out Women’s History Month on March 31st, the Heritage Foundation, a conservative “think tank” hosted the panel “Evaluating Feminism, Its Failures, and Its Future.”

Panelists included Mollie Hemmingway, the senior editor for “The Federalist” who said, “We do not have a sex gap here in voting. We have a marriage gap,” as well Monica Charen, a syndicated columnist who said, “If we truly want women to thrive, we have to revive the marriage norm.”

Nicole Wallace, former senior advisor to the McCain/Palin campaign and an MSNBC political analyst and Karen Finney, host of MSNBC’s “Disrupt with Karen Finney” joined Lawrence O’Donnell on his show “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” to discuss some of what was said at the panel.

Wallace, a Republican woman herself, called out the ridiculousness of Hemmingway’s and Charen’s statements.

“I think we have so far to go, not just in my party but as a country, on these issues, and it’s not just you know three conservative women who I never heard of before today saying these that seem not just antiquated but absolutely inaccurate about feminism. Feminism is the reason I’m here.”

According to Charen, the best way to help people isn’t to provide them with safety nets and supports like free or affordable child care, paid parental leave, and access to food programs like SNAP. No, of course not. She says:

“If you care about people in the middle class and lower class who are really struggling, then you have to address the marriage issue.”

In addition to feminism causing the downfall of women by keeping them from their true purpose in life – ya know, getting married – Charen also blamed feminism for date rape. Yes, you read that right.

“Supposing that one this prototypical woman’s daughter succeeds well enough to attend college. Is she content to send her daughter off to a campus where hooking up is considered normal and date rape is difficult to prevent? If so, she can thank feminism for that too.”

Finney responded by saying:

“We’re seeing policies passed that essentially treat women like children who are too stupid to make their own decisions, to choose their own medicines. So part of what happens here is it is a broad brush that women are being painted with across a lot of the conservative ideologies and policies that make it seem like you want to go back to the 1850s.”

Watch the full segment of “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” below:

http://aattp.org/gop-to-women-forget-education-go-marry-you-a-man-video/

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh indeed.

By making women think that they are equals, rather than property that at all times must be accompanied by a father, brother or husband, feminism is responsible for more women being murdered and mugged, too.

angelizedsinz
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:41 AM
8 moms liked this
Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. If she's so worried about women and marriage, why isn't she in the kitchen like she wants us all to be??
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

A very disjointed article.  I don't agree with the idea that it appears to put across; but I get the feeling context was thrown out the window

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this

Alright let's address the marriage issue...

They are saying people are more financially sound when there are more wage earners and thus marriage creates more financial stability. In that line of thinking, there should be no exclusion for same sex marriage, there should be no exclusion for polygamy (after all if two are good more are better), and there should be no right to divorce without extreme circumstances unless you have someone lined up to take their place. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

*Like*

Quoting angelizedsinz: Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak in public. If she's so worried about women and marriage, why isn't she in the kitchen like she wants us all to be??

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Why does anyone care what these people think or say?  I do what I want to do everyday and have never been influenced by a political party, church....  Opinions are just that.  Everyone has them.  Also you make the choice to be offended.  I know when to say, I don't give a f*#$

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:49 AM
3 moms liked this

These women and their backwards way of thinking should have no impact on what you (general) do with and in your lives.  However, when their dangerous way of thinking seeps in to legislation, we have an issue.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Because men surely never die or worse yet, become disabled and in need of both care and income.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Why does anyone care what these people think or say?  I do what I want to do everyday and have never been influenced by a political party, church....  Opinions are just that.  Everyone has them.  Also you make the choice to be offended.  I know when to say, I don't give a f*#$

You do know that some people are fixated on their party and the party line. There are women on CM who would eat this message up and regurg it daily, for the remainder of their days.

These are the ladies who vote strict party line, always. No thinking involved, no responsibility at all-someone from their party told them what to do.

Yes, they walk among us and post on CM. Scary.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM
5 moms liked this

Well, that line of thinking certainly worked out well for my late MIL, who forewent a college education to get married to a man who was supposed to take care of her. Except he turned out to be abusive and then walked out, leaving her to raise four children by herself, with no college education and no marketable skills.

I'm all for marriage and family stability, but I also think that it's insanely risky for ANY woman to put herself in a position of being dependent on a man for her livelihood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN