• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Marriage Vows You Couldn't Possibly Have Known to Make On Your Wedding Day

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:50 AM
  • 5 Replies
3 moms liked this

1. I promise to notice and acknowledge the positive things that you do, rather than get hung up on the negatives.

2. I promise to accept that we are different -- that we will see the world differently and over the course of our marriage we will want different things. Though I don't expect this to be easy, I will strive to be open-minded and loving about the way that you see things. Failing that, I will do my best to be tolerant.

3. I promise to do more than my fair share when necessary and to not grouse about it. Keeping score is about fear and stinginess, not about love.

4. I promise to release my end of the rope when we're in a tug of war, knowing that there's a cost to my winning when it means that you lose.

5. I promise to not ask you to change in ways that I'm unwilling to change.

6. I promise to not take your annoying behaviors personally, even though I really, really wish you would wash out the sponge.

7. I promise to keep in mind that your basic intention is to be a loving and decent husband, even when you're not doing so.

8. I promise to drop my expectations of your becoming the man/woman I want you to be as opposed to the man/woman you are.

9. I promise to focus a lot more on my shortcomings and a lot less on yours.

10. I promise to forgive both of us for having not known from the start how to be the kind and generous partners we've finally become.

Winifred M. Reilly Headshot

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fudgybuddymom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:42 AM

Lovely-wish I had thought of stuff like this when I got married & throughout my marriage!

MommyOfThree456
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Very true. I will be sure to show this to my sister who is getting married in 3 months!

I am a mom of 3 with one on the way...

I found my baby's names using the Baby Names Search. the baby name generator allowed me to combine me and my husbands names and find the perfect baby names for my babies.

Elkamelka
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:48 AM

These are lovely. If I may add #11. I promise not to scream at you how dangerous it is when you don't go downstairs with me when the tornado sirens are blaring.

LorinLizziesMom
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Mine should have said I promise to shave your back as you age and not mock you for it. Because seriously? Who would have thought at 19 I would know that by 30 this would be a regular thing. ..
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

That was awesome :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)