• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O RSVP post - Do you foster friendships between your children and their classmates?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM
KK
  • 9 Replies

Do you make an effort to get to know the parents/children that are your children's classmates/friends?  In what ways?  

Do you find it rude/strange when your children's classmates invite your child to a party when you do not know them?  Do you attend their parties if you did not have a prior friendship/relationship?   

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I miss those days.  

We invited the entire class unless my daughter(s) said otherwise.  

We had so much fun.  The kids always had a blast and the parties were never over the top.  Just simple fun.

I have made some great friendships from getting to know the parents.

I have been to many b-day parties where I did not know the parents. It was an excellent opportunity to get to know them.

Even now, with my youngest being 14, I make every effort to know her friends and their parents.  Just last night at Incoming Freshman Orientation, I was talking to the majority of the kids and parents.  We all know each other and most make the effort for the sake of their children.

I can't imagine otherwise.

DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I have met most of my daughter's friends parents, but aren't friends with any of them.

I don't know all of my daughter's friends either, or have only met them once, I don't care if they invite her to parties.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes- we socialized our kids and part of that socialization involved showing the kids. Yes, many of our friends were parents of our kids' friends.

No, I do not find invites, socialization or having friends rude.

I know not everyone has the ability to easily make friends...I wonder if that is a trait that is easily passed on to a child? I hope not. being socially awkward has to be the pits.

LIMom1105
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do try to foster friendships for my son.  He is in Kindergarten this year, and it's a new school.  He had good friends in his PreK, but all of the kids are in different school districts, so he's starting from scratch.  At this point, he is doing very well, but is shy or slow to warm up to new people.  He has some friends outside of his current classroom, but I know he has a much better time in school if he has friends of his own there also.  So we try to organize playdates, but not the simplest thing since DH and I work FT and many of the other kids have after school activities.  So there is some of that, and in the summer we almost always run into families we know at the park or the town pool.  

We also attend as many birthday parties as we can even if we don't know the other family.  Sometimes we have other committments, and we don't break them for a party (unless it's a really good friend of his).  The other thing we do is attend school functions he's interested in, there was a carnival not long ago, and events in town.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

We invited the entire class when N was younger.  His classes were smaller and the kids were far better behaved and well mannered than the kids in T's class.   

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I miss those days.  

We invited the entire class unless my daughter(s) said otherwise.  

We had so much fun.  The kids always had a blast and the parties were never over the top.  Just simple fun.

I have made some great friendships from getting to know the parents.

I have been to many b-day parties where I did not know the parents. It was an excellent opportunity to get to know them.

Even now, with my youngest being 14, I make every effort to know her friends and their parents.  Just last night at Incoming Freshman Orientation, I was talking to the majority of the kids and parents.  We all know each other and most make the effort for the sake of their children.

I can't imagine otherwise.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because I don't know the student doesn't mean my son doesn't.  Of course my kid will attend the party if he wants to go.  I don't get in the way of my kids friendships, and I certainly do not know all of his classmates either, so I find your question rather absurd.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I find the premise absurd as well.  

Quoting kailu1835:

Just because I don't know the student doesn't mean my son doesn't.  Of course my kid will attend the party if he wants to go.  I don't get in the way of my kids friendships, and I certainly do not know all of his classmates either, so I find your question rather absurd.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM
I've made some good friends through the kids' friends. I don't find it rude to invite my kid to a party if I haven't met you and unless we have something else planned, yes, my kid will go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:52 PM
My kids are very social and alwsys made friends easily. And they were either very lucky, or really good judges of characters too. I think its nice when they've been invited places. I only went when invited.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)