Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

91-yr Old gets visit from FBI.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

I would have loved to see the artifacts that he had. 

I wonder if her really knew that he violated laws.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/03/what-a-91-year-old-man-has-been-keeping-in-his-basement-got-him-a-visit-from-the-fbi/

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I wonder if there isn't overstepping in many recent finds. 

Della529
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Apparently, it was a LOT.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/03/298721814/thousands-of-artifacts-seized-at-91-year-old-indiana-mans-home

I was under the impression that Native artifacts were protected and that they belong to the natives, not a "finders keepers" sort of thing.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

What does his age have to do with anything?

Are you exempt from the law after a certain age?

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I didnt say it did.  Nor did I imply it.  The part of him being 91 years old, was in the original title.  THe only thing that pertains to his age, is where he has been and how he obtained the artifacts. 

I thought the article was fascinating that he has all this stuff and where he has been. 

Why do you have to be so nasty and try to start something??

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I know.  I find it facinating that he had all that stuff.  I wonder if some of the stuff was things that we dont know about.

Quoting Della529:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/03/298721814/thousands-of-artifacts-seized-at-91-year-old-indiana-mans-home

I was under the impression that Native artifacts were protected and that they belong to the natives, not a "finders keepers" sort of thing.

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Yes.

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Dougherty County prosecutors have re-indicted an Albany man they say illegally took artifacts from the Flint River.  

The new indictment against 37-year-old Eddie Ballard is charges him with 11 counts of criminal trespass, 23 counts of unlawful activity at an archeological site, 10 counts of theft by taking, and one count of obstruction.   

Prosecutors say between March 2011 and July 2012 Ballard dug up protected artifacts from public and private property and sold them for tens of thousands of dollars,  doing millions of dollars in damage to the sites.  

So that people understand that the arrow heads and other artifacts are part of our natural history.  And were significant.  And there are significant safeguards to protect this natural history," said Dougherty D.A.  Greg Edwards.     

The D. A. re-indicted Ballard to include more specifics on the crimes he is charged with.    

Ballard remains in the Dougherty County jail.

Apparently you cannot have anything

Quoting Della529:

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM

I wonder if some of this will apply to this guy??  It will be intereting how it will all play out. 

Quoting stormcris:

Yes.

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Dougherty County prosecutors have re-indicted an Albany man they say illegally took artifacts from the Flint River.  

The new indictment against 37-year-old Eddie Ballard is charges him with 11 counts of criminal trespass, 23 counts of unlawful activity at an archeological site, 10 counts of theft by taking, and one count of obstruction.   

Prosecutors say between March 2011 and July 2012 Ballard dug up protected artifacts from public and private property and sold them for tens of thousands of dollars,  doing millions of dollars in damage to the sites.  

So that people understand that the arrow heads and other artifacts are part of our natural history.  And were significant.  And there are significant safeguards to protect this natural history," said Dougherty D.A.  Greg Edwards.     

The D. A. re-indicted Ballard to include more specifics on the crimes he is charged with.    

Quoting Della529:

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Yes I will be interested to see how this plays out. I really do not think it is right though. I understand protecting from grave robbers but this seems to go overboard. 

Quoting billsfan1104:

I wonder if some of this will apply to this guy??  It will be intereting how it will all play out. 

Quoting stormcris:

Yes.

ALBANY, GA (WALB) -

Quoting Della529:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I didn't say YOU said it

The article itself if from the angle that his age should mean something regarding the law...

breaking the law at 91 is the same as breaking the law at 19

Quoting billsfan1104:

I didnt say it did.  Nor did I imply it.  The part of him being 91 years old, was in the original title.  THe only thing that pertains to his age, is where he has been and how he obtained the artifacts. 

I thought the article was fascinating that he has all this stuff and where he has been. 

Why do you have to be so nasty and try to start something??

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:53 PM
They're going overboard. Obviously he isn't going to continue collecting things at his age. And they aren't going to send him to prison or do community service at his age.

And honestly I don't really care that he took things. I knew a guy, a farmer, who found dinosaur fossils on his land. He contacted the local university and the state completely took over his land to dig everything up. Pretty serious thing to happen to a farm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)