Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know we have some gardeners here...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was wondering if I could put some giant marigolds in a container of growing lettuce.  I have the cutest wrought iron wheel barrow that I think I can plant lettuce in, its about 6 sq feet.  Could I put a few giant marigolds in it to make it pretty for the front yard?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, just make sure there is enough space for them to grow out. They like to have room and not be crowded, also if you don't deadhead them at the end of the season they will reseed, only they will probably be smaller. 

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Quoting DanaG70:

Yes, just make sure there is enough space for them to grow out. They like to have room and not be crowded, also if you don't deadhead them at the end of the season they will reseed, only they will probably be smaller. 

Thank you.  I am glad, I am going to try to incorporate some food stuffs into my flower gardens, mostly in containers as I dont trust my soil:) 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DanaG70:

Thank you.  I am glad, I am going to try to incorporate some food stuffs into my flower gardens, mostly in containers as I dont trust my soil:) 

I was just reading up on them, you can add marigold petals in salads and it's will give it a tangy taste, not something I would have thought of myself... I also wanted to add to make sure that the container has good drainage, marigolds don't like a lot of moisture. 

DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DanaG70:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting DanaG70:

I was just reading up on them, you can add marigold petals in salads and it's will give it a tangy taste, not something I would have thought of myself... I also wanted to add to make sure that the container has good drainage, marigolds don't like a lot of moisture. 

Oh and you're welcome. =)

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Theyll also keep bugs away (the marigolds) - i plant clumps here and there in my garden.
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Marigolds are great in gardens especially food gardens. They have a nasty smell that keeps the bugs away. I always line my garden with them.
Bonnie_
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Yep..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)