Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WATCH: Female Campus Reform reporter bullied at 'inclusive' feminist conference for being ‘conservative’

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • 90 Replies

WATCH: Female Campus Reform reporter bullied at 'inclusive' feminist conference for being ‘conservative’

Campus Reform's Katherine Timpf attended the National Young Feminist Leadership Conference (NYFLC) — an event which promised to be about “inclusivity” and welcoming everyone — only to be told that "conservative" women were not welcome.

Timpf attempted to ask students’ their opinions on feminism, but conference organizers made an announcement advising participants not to talk to Campus Reform because it was a “conservative” outlet.

“You guys aren’t wanted here.”   

The organizers also followed Timpf around the conference to interrupt her conversations with students to tell them the same thing.

“They’re a group that’s conservative, so what we are fighting for is not something…” one organizer told a student who was talking with Timpf, prompting the student to walk away.

“You’re just assuming that based on where I work,” Timpf told the organizer.

“Yeah, we are,” the organizer stated.

“You guys aren’t wanted here,” a participant told the reporter after the warning.

“I thought this was supposed to be an inclusive thing, why am I being excluded because of where I work?” Timpf asked another organizer after another interruption.

“Because the place that you work is not inclusive,” the organizer responded.

“You don’t know that,” Timpf said. “You don’t know anything about me or my personal beliefs, I’m just being labeled and excluded based on a label.”

Its “safe space policy” promised the event would be “structured around inclusivity … with a focus on representing various perspectives,” according to the event’s official website.

“We will not tolerate, allow, or encourage behavior which makes folks feel uncomfortable, threatened, or demoralized,” the policy continued.

The NYFLC conference was held March 29-31 at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Crystal City, VA.

"Hang on, let me send a PM to Jesus so he can join this name calling ignorance ...he's into that these days ...at least according to his peeps."
- sak

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM
6 moms liked this

billsfan1104
by Jules on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I hate the women wars. I hate that women cannot get along, because of a difference of opinion.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM
7 moms liked this

We clearly define bullying differently.  Having her stance challenged is not bullying.  I think letting people know who they are talking to, especially if they are not making themselves and their "credentials" known is not out of line.  People should know if there is a risk to having their statements taken out of context.   If Daily Kos showed up at a Conservative event you can bet they would be announced and followed if they were even allowed in the event at all.  

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM
3 moms liked this
I wonder how Jessie Jackson would go over at CPAC?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM
8 moms liked this

She was told she was not welcome.  How is that okay?  Was she there in an official capacity for her job or just there as a participant, like any other participant?  If the latter, where she works has zippo to do with anything and what happened is that much more wrong.  And they didn't just annouce where she was from, the explicity told people NOT to talk to her.  They made it clear that CONSERVATIVES were not included in their inclusiveness.  Your defense of this makes me want to vomit.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

We clearly define bullying differently.  Having her stance challenged is not bullying.  I think letting people know who they are talking to, especially if they are not making themselves and their "credentials" known is not out of line.  People should know if there is a risk to having their statements taken out of context.   If Daily Kos showed up at a Conservative event you can bet they would be announced and followed if they were even allowed in the event at all.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM
3 moms liked this

From where I sit, that was wrong on many levels.

Granted, the video is only showing what those behind it want to show us but overall, being inclusive certainly isn't what these women were about.  

They aren't inclusive towards a conservative outlet because they are not inclusive themselves?

How old are we?

Two wrongs do not make a right.

No wonder we can't get it together......................

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM
4 moms liked this
Being told she is not welcome at something that is supposed to be accepting and diverse is okay to you?

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I think they were wrong to ban or harass her. However, if she was interviewing people and planning to make a piece out of the interviews, she should have had a badge or something like that to identify her affiliation.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting momtoscott: I think they were wrong to ban or harass her. However, if she was interviewing people and planning to make a piece out of the interviews, she should have had a badge or something like that to identify her affiliation.

She had something around her neck, although it looked much like what everyone else was wearing.

I agree, she should have let people know who she was, or who she works for.

Always two sides to every story.  Some where in the middle is usually the truth.

But for myself, I would have had no issue talking with a conservative outlet and I would not have let any one tell me not to.  They want to twist my words, let em'.  There are ways to prove them wrong if they chose that route.

The whole 'you aren't so we aren't' mind set is disturbing to me.  Sounds like 6 year olds on a playground instead of adults.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you, people should be secure enough in their views to discuss them with people who favor a different side.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting momtoscott: I think they were wrong to ban or harass her. However, if she was interviewing people and planning to make a piece out of the interviews, she should have had a badge or something like that to identify her affiliation.

She had something around her neck, although it looked much like what everyone else was wearing.

I agree, she should have let people know who she was, or who she works for.

Always two sides to every story.  Some where in the middle is usually the truth.

But for myself, I would have had no issue talking with a conservative outlet and I would not have let any one tell me not to.  They want to twist my words, let em'.  There are ways to prove them wrong if they chose that route.

The whole 'you aren't so we aren't' mind set is disturbing to me.  Sounds like 6 year olds on a playground instead of adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN