Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Judge to end Ohio ban on recognizing gay marriage

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM
  • 67 Replies
1 mom liked this

A federal judge says he will strike down Ohio’s voter-approved ban on gay marriage, meaning the state must recognize marriages of gay couples who legally wed elsewhere.

Judge Timothy Black made the statement Friday following final arguments in a lawsuit that challenged the constitutionality of the marriage ban.

He says he’ll issue the ruling April 14 prohibiting Ohio officials from enforcing the ban, which he says violates constitutional rights to equal protection and due process.

Black’s ruling will not mean Ohio has to allow couples to marry in the state.

Attorneys for the state had argued that it’s Ohio’s sole province to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

By announcing his intention ahead of his ruling, Black gives time for the state to prepare an appeal that can be filed as soon as he rules.

Currently, 17 states and Washington D.C. allow same-sex marriages. 33 states have bans or limits on gay couples seeking marital status.

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Of course they will appeal.

How dare all people be treated equally.

lga1965
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Oh yah, that will make a,lot of people angry.
I'm sure they'll take care of that . At least the Judge is a good man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

There should be no need for this, article 4 of the US constitution covers it already.  I knew that much in elementary school, so why legislators can't grasp it is beyond me.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this
No same sex marriage allowed YET.

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Thank goodness I live in NC. No gay marriages allowed here Praise GOD! I will only support One man and One Woman Marriages.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
6 moms liked this

I am so glad you don't live in my state.  

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Thank goodness I live in NC. No gay marriages allowed here Praise GOD! I will only support One man and One Woman Marriages.

elrikandisis
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I could care less. I just don't want to see it

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Don't want to see what?

Quoting elrikandisis:

I could care less. I just don't want to see it

..Kris..
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:56 AM

If only they'd remove the ban in my state, so that my gay family members can finally marry the partners they've been with for years.  

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this
What will you do when sexual orientation is added to the federal list of protected classes and same sex marriage is legal and recognized everywhere in America?

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting romalove: What will you do when sexual orientation is added to the federal list of protected classes and same sex marriage is legal and recognized everywhere in America?
Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

You do remember this one, don't you?  She praises God yet is going to kick my ass. Buahahahahahaha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)