Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Muslims Say Easter Egg Hunt Violates the U.S. Constitution

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 340 Replies

Muslims Say Easter Egg Hunt Violates the U.S. Constitution

EGGS

by Susan Frommer | Top Right News

Muslim moms and dads in Dearborn, Mich. are upset after students received flyers promoting an Easter Egg hunt at a local Presbyterian church.

The parents say the egg hunt “violates the U.S. Constitution”.

The Muslims told the Detroit Free-Press that they were concerned about the religious implications of Cherry Hill Presbyterian Church’s “Eggstravaganza!”

They were also “troubled” by images of a bunny rabbit.

“It really bothered my two kids,” parent Majed Moughni, told the newspaper. “My son was like, ‘Dad, I really don’t feel comfortable getting these flyers, telling me to go to church. I thought churches are not supposed to mix with schools.’ ”

The school district did not comment and the pastor of the church said there’s nothing remotely religious about the event.

“Part of our ministry in Dearborn is to invite the community to let them know we’re here,” Pastor Neeta Nichols told the newspaper. “We’re offering various kinds of programming, fun opportunities, so what we can be engaged with the community.”

Fear not, peeps. I not a theologian, but I’m fairly certain Peter Cottontail was not at The Last Supper.

Read the Detroit Free-Press story by clicking here.

ABOVE: Drama queen: Majed Moughni, 43, of Dearborn holds invitations for the non-religious,
optional event given to students at Howard Elementary School in Dearborn.

by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM
13 moms liked this
Well the flyers shouldn't have been given at school that said I wouldn't have made a big deal. The " journalist" seems a bit biased with his caption on the persons photo
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM
10 moms liked this
They aren't saying egg hunts are unconstitutional. They're saying receiving flyers while they are at school for a church activity is unconstitutional. Jesus wept.

*edit for typo
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM
10 moms liked this
I think they really overreacted. I can understand that maybe giving it out at a public school isn't the best idea but I highly doubt eggs and a bunny really traumatized a kid.

Someone wanted their 15 mins
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM
7 moms liked this

We get all sorts of church related flyers through our schools. Live in the South. They shouldn't be allowed to use the school as a way to advertise. 

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with all of this.

I was quite offended that the photo was titled Drama Queen.  That isn't unbiased journalism.  It isn't even an effort towards such a thing.  So now I know that this OP source is a joke basically.

I would be concerned about church fliers coming home in my DD's backpack.  But I would likely not do anything.  She might, however.  She is quite vocal at 7yo about not liking such things. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Well the flyers shouldn't have been given at school that said I wouldn't have made a big deal. The " journalist" seems a bit biased with his caption on the persons photo

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."  -  Dante

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We live in TX & don't get church fliers from public school.  That shouldn't be allowed.  How wrong. 

Quoting ReginaStar:

We get all sorts of church related flyers through our schools. Live in the South. They shouldn't be allowed to use the school as a way to advertise. 

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."  -  Dante

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM
10 moms liked this

I wonder if a Christian father would be labeled a drama queen if mosque adverts were being sent home from public school with his child's homework?  Or pagan coven adverts?  I suspect not.

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:27 AM
5 moms liked this

Giving flyers to a church event at a public school is not appropriate.

No one is saying that the egg hunt is unconstitutional, just that the flyers shouldn't be handed out at the public school.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM
6 moms liked this

Also, this family is clearly Muslim!  As a Jew, I would assume that if a church flyer is in my DD's backpack for an event for Easter, the holiest day of the Christian calendar, that just maybe it is a Christian event.  I might think that just maybe the egg hunt is a way to lure us in for the the church service, and maybe to try to convert us.  Obviously, I'm wrong. But it seems possible to me.  Does that make me dramatic or simply a member of a persecuted minority group, often targeted at this time of year by Jews for Jesus & the like? 

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Whatever the reason... if you  don't  want  your  kids to  go  don't  take  them.  No  big  deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)