Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
  • 96 Replies

Navy Dramatically Rescues Sick 1-Year-Old Who Was Stuck at Sea

by Ericka Sóuter

It was like the scene out of a nail-biting action flick. A 1-year-old girl became seriously ill on a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean and the Navy heroically came to the rescue.

Lyra Kaufman, her sister and their parents were sailing around the world when the trouble began. Something went wrong with the sailboat and it lost power, leaving the family stranded 900 miles away from land. 

Then, little Lyra started to get very sick. She first broke out with a severe rash and then got an infection. They sent out distress signals and the Navy answered their desperate call. A team of medics flew out and then parachuted into the Pacific Ocean to save the baby girl. Now she is thankfully on the mend.

See more on the dramatic rescue.

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suetoo
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Yep.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM
8 moms liked this

Life is dangerous, anyway. Plenty of 1-year-olds are killed choking on small objects, being involved in car accidents, being abused.

paknari
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Yes but part of me thinks it's cool too. I may have waited til they were a bit older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM
I don't know if I would say irresponsible.....some people live on the positive side of everything feeling that nothing will go wrong if you do. Me on the other hand would not put my
young children in such a vulnerable way...I prefer to live in reality knowing the possibility of something going wrong is very possible.
krysstizzle
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM
4 moms liked this
No, not inherently.

Children are at risk in all kinds of situations- riding in a car, for example. Everyone is at risk of dying every day - kind of the human condition, isnt it?

If the parents were woefully unprepared or careless, then thats irresponsible. If however shit just happened, as it does, then thats just life.
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I do. Extremely young children do not have fully developed immune systems and are prone to getting sick anyway without adding in being stuck on a boat away from medical help.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Wait until they are old enough to enjoy:remember it
GloryDaze
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I would never do that. I'm not sure if they were just out for an adventure or if they were trying to set some kind of world record but the parents certainly did get a dose of reality when their boat became stranded and their baby became sick.

On the flip side of this terrible saga, I will say that we often don't know our capabilities unless we try and there have been thousands of people who have accomplished great goals when others have berated them the entire time and saying it is impossible. Out of the ordinary things like this are the reason there are famous people who have made a name for themselves such as the first woman to swim the english channel.....just an example.

So, I suppose, if this young family had completed their sail, they could say "We told you all we could do it." Because people have sailed around the world with children aboard in the past. But since they didn't make it, everyone else now has opportunity to berate them by saying "We knew you couldn't do it."

That being said....again, as I stated in my first sentence.....it isn't something I would do with my children.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM
8 moms liked this
Nope. People homeschool their kids all the time and these parents are just doing so on a boat.

Some people live "off the grid" and wouldn't call for help if their child was that ill. Calling for help and sending distress signals was responsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.

I also think that the family should have to reimburse the taxpayers for the money spent on their rescue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN