Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

Posted by   + Show Post

Navy Dramatically Rescues Sick 1-Year-Old Who Was Stuck at Sea

by Ericka Sóuter

It was like the scene out of a nail-biting action flick. A 1-year-old girl became seriously ill on a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean and the Navy heroically came to the rescue.

Lyra Kaufman, her sister and their parents were sailing around the world when the trouble began. Something went wrong with the sailboat and it lost power, leaving the family stranded 900 miles away from land. 

Then, little Lyra started to get very sick. She first broke out with a severe rash and then got an infection. They sent out distress signals and the Navy answered their desperate call. A team of medics flew out and then parachuted into the Pacific Ocean to save the baby girl. Now she is thankfully on the mend.

See more on the dramatic rescue.

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well- it wouldn't have been irresponsible had they planned better.

From the news articles I read, including statements from one of their sisters- English said she was told the vessel took on water every time the motor was turned on; and the baby had salmonella just prior to them leaving, and had been medically cleared-

So- the baby developed a rash, and the sails stopped woring and the communication systems failed- hmm. That to me seems irresponsible knowingly still taking the trip given the high potential for problems. To just sail around the world with young children in itself isn't the problem.

I've had friends who did this, and were fine- it was also their own yacht. They had planned exceptionally well. They also had the assets to cover whatever may happen.

Personally, I think these people need to be charged whatver the rescue costs are, this should not fall on the taxpayers.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand why anyone would want to deal with diapers on a sailboat sailing around the world. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

It's the parent's choice if they want to take a kid sailing around the world.   No one else's.  If the Navy is willing to help people get to a doctor when they are on the water, that's great.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, not necessarily.  They are possibly more responsible and watchful than millions of other law-abiding American parents. it depends on what kind of precautions they took and how they made their decision.

I know a family with 5 kids who just started their sail-around-the-world tour a couple months ago, and they are extremely cautious.  I think it's awesome.  What a great thing for them and their kids!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

I think the rescue was because the ship was sinking, not necessarily because of the sick child. I do not think this family was responsible in their prep for this voyage.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Not per se, but this family does not seem to have planned well.  

meriana
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

No, people do things like that all the time. The only reason any of us has even heard about this family is that their boat developed a problem and even then we weren't have heard much if their child had not become ill.  At least they were able to and did call for assistance.

It's not something I would do but if one has the desire and means, why not. As for the age of the children, I kind of think it might be easier to do that with kids young enough they don't really object to smaller quarters as opposed to having say, a bored 6 - 10 yr old to deal with.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I agree- I think here because the baby had salmonella before they left(even though was medically cleared), nd the fact that they knew this boat took on water each time it started- shows a lack of adequate planning and taking unnecessary risk. That part to me shows a lack of responsibility. Not the issue itself.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Nope, not necessarily.  They are possibly more responsible and watchful than millions of other law-abiding American parents. it depends on what kind of precautions they took and how they made their decision.

I know a family with 5 kids who just started their sail-around-the-world tour a couple months ago, and they are extremely cautious.  I think it's awesome.  What a great thing for them and their kids!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Hmm. I'm on the fence.

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You need the full story...... They sailed to Mexico  when she was pregnant with her youngest and lived there for 18 months. The husband passed the captains licensing course from the Coast Guard, but had never done a long trip like this before. BOTH kids and the Mom had been too ill  to leave  initially-they delayed their trip a week or so-all three  had been on antibiotics for varied illnesses. The Mom and baby had tested positive for salmonella.

So about 8 days later they left...supposedly after the Mexican Dr cleared them...They had only 30 gallons of  diesal fuel (needed if there was no wind) They had no pressuirzed water system and NO Hot water system. She blogged about washing the cloth diapers in the sink in the galley (kitchen)

One news report said the baby had salmonella...

The sailboat was 36 feet long .

So now what do you all think?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN