Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

Posted by   + Show Post

Navy Dramatically Rescues Sick 1-Year-Old Who Was Stuck at Sea

by Ericka Sóuter

It was like the scene out of a nail-biting action flick. A 1-year-old girl became seriously ill on a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean and the Navy heroically came to the rescue.

Lyra Kaufman, her sister and their parents were sailing around the world when the trouble began. Something went wrong with the sailboat and it lost power, leaving the family stranded 900 miles away from land. 

Then, little Lyra started to get very sick. She first broke out with a severe rash and then got an infection. They sent out distress signals and the Navy answered their desperate call. A team of medics flew out and then parachuted into the Pacific Ocean to save the baby girl. Now she is thankfully on the mend.

See more on the dramatic rescue.

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Extremely irresponsible. I'd like to see this couple receive the bill for their rescue. Babies get sick all the time - to take such young children on such a trip is just plain stupid and selfish. As a taxpayer - I say charge them every last dime. If i'm on vacation and a child gets sick and has to be airlifted out, I pay for it. Why shouldn't they?

Legally they cannot.  Giant cruise ships get bailed out and recover money and don't have to pay! 

MidwestMama55
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Why not?

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Extremely irresponsible. I'd like to see this couple receive the bill for their rescue. Babies get sick all the time - to take such young children on such a trip is just plain stupid and selfish. As a taxpayer - I say charge them every last dime. If i'm on vacation and a child gets sick and has to be airlifted out, I pay for it. Why shouldn't they?

Legally they cannot.  Giant cruise ships get bailed out and recover money and don't have to pay! 

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Why not?

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

In later news they did decide to pay-but legally they were not required to do so.

The senator from West Virginia penned a letter March 14 to Carnival CEO Micky Arison alleging that the U.S. Coast Guard responded to 90 “serious events” involving Carnival ships over five years, and that the Coast Guard and Navy had shelled out $4.2 million to cover the Carnival Triumph and Carnival Splendor incidents. The senator asked whether Carnival, since it pays “little or nothing in federal taxes,” will reimburse the Coast Guard and Navy.

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display("div-gpt-ad-1390432568424-0"); });

Without giving a specific “yes” or “no” answer to the question, James Hunn, Carnival’s senior vice president, corporate maritime policy, wrote: “Carnival’s policy is to honor maritime tradition that holds that the duty to render assistance at sea to those in need is a universal obligation of the entire maritime community.”
For example, the Carnival Breeze diverted from its scheduled course on March 25 and helped the Coast Guard respond to two individuals requiring medical help in a small boat off the Florida coast, Hunn wrote.
UPDATE WITH COMMENT FROM SEN. ROCKEFELLER: Senator Rockefeller, the chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, wasn’t pleased with Carnival’s responses to his initial letter.
“Carnival’s response to my detailed inquiry is shameful,” Rockefeller tells Skift. “It is indisputable that Carnival passengers deserve better emergency response measures than they experienced on the Triumph. I am considering all options to hold the industry to higher passenger safety standards.”
Options under consideration would likely range from committee hearings to legislation.

Read More
       Carnival Goes After the Loyalist, the Newbie and the Toughest of Them All, the Switcher

Of the 90 incidents that Rockefeller cited in his letter to Arison, Hunn replied that only seven — including those involving the Carnival Splendor, Costa Concordia, Carnival Triumph and four others — amounted to “serious maritime incidents,” as defined by the Code of Federal Regulations.
More on Carnival:

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Do I think a parent could possibly sail around the world safely and responsibly yes do I think this family did no.  It is not something that I would even consider with children this age at all I think that part to me is pretty irresponsible when you add on all the extra information coming out just adds to it. 

MidwestMama55
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Why not?

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

In later news they did decide to pay-but legally they were not required to do so.

The senator from West Virginia penned a letter March 14 to Carnival CEO Micky Arison alleging that the U.S. Coast Guard responded to 90 “serious events” involving Carnival ships over five years, and that the Coast Guard and Navy had shelled out $4.2 million to cover the Carnival Triumph and Carnival Splendor incidents. The senator asked whether Carnival, since it pays “little or nothing in federal taxes,” will reimburse the Coast Guard and Navy.     

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display("div-gpt-ad-1390432568424-0"); });

Without giving a specific “yes” or “no” answer to the question, James Hunn, Carnival’s senior vice president, corporate maritime policy, wrote: “Carnival’s policy is to honor maritime tradition that holds that the duty to render assistance at sea to those in need is a universal obligation of the entire maritime community.”For example, the Carnival Breeze diverted from its scheduled course on March 25 and helped the Coast Guard respond to two individuals requiring medical help in a small boat off the Florida coast, Hunn wrote.UPDATE WITH COMMENT FROM SEN. ROCKEFELLER: Senator Rockefeller, the chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, wasn’t pleased with Carnival’s responses to his initial letter.“Carnival’s response to my detailed inquiry is shameful,” Rockefeller tells Skift. “It is indisputable that Carnival passengers deserve better emergency response measures than they experienced on the Triumph. I am considering all options to hold the industry to higher passenger safety standards.”Options under consideration would likely range from committee hearings to legislation.                  Read More       Carnival Goes After the Loyalist, the Newbie and the Toughest of Them All, the Switcher               Of the 90 incidents that Rockefeller cited in his letter to Arison, Hunn replied that only seven — including those involving the Carnival Splendor, Costa Concordia, Carnival Triumph and four others — amounted to “serious maritime incidents,” as defined by the Code of Federal Regulations.More on Carnival:

Thanks. I see a huge difference however in someone taking a cruise ship and someone taking a tiny sailboat with no medical staff, etc.

I'm not buying this couple is going to pay, the bill is in the hundreds of thousands. But if they do? Good for them.

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Why not?

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Without giving a specific “yes” or “no” answer to the question, James Hunn, Carnival’s senior vice president, corporate maritime policy, wrote: “Carnival’s policy is to honor maritime tradition that holds that the duty to render assistance at sea to those in need is a universal obligation of the entire maritime community.”For example, the Carnival Breeze diverted from its scheduled course on March 25 and helped the Coast Guard respond to two individuals requiring medical help in a small boat off the Florida coast, Hunn wrote.UPDATE WITH COMMENT FROM SEN. ROCKEFELLER: Senator Rockefeller, the chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, wasn’t pleased with Carnival’s responses to his initial letter.“Carnival’s response to my detailed inquiry is shameful,” Rockefeller tells Skift. “It is indisputable that Carnival passengers deserve better emergency response measures than they experienced on the Triumph. I am considering all options to hold the industry to higher passenger safety standards.”Options under consideration would likely range from committee hearings to legislation.                  Read More       Carnival Goes After the Loyalist, the Newbie and the Toughest of Them All, the Switcher               Of the 90 incidents that Rockefeller cited in his letter to Arison, Hunn replied that only seven — including those involving the Carnival Splendor, Costa Concordia, Carnival Triumph and four others — amounted to “serious maritime incidents,” as defined by the Code of Federal Regulations.More on Carnival:

Thanks. I see a huge difference however in someone taking a cruise ship and someone taking a tiny sailboat with no medical staff, etc.

I'm not buying this couple is going to pay, the bill is in the hundreds of thousands. But if they do? Good for them.

If you read his blog, he didn't pay taxes for years-until the IRS finally caught up to him.

So I suspect they won't be paying.

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM

This.  Why take a 1 year old?  They won't remember it at all.  Why not take them when they are older? 

Quoting NWP: Yes. Wait until they are old enough to enjoy:remember it

matofour
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Great
But they were also cleared by a doctor to travel before they left.
Cleared.
Meaning the dr found no reason they could not continue on with their trip.
They delayed it 8 days, and left after clearance from a dr.

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting matofour: They had salmonella before they left. Not while on the boat. They had been cleared by a dr before they left from the salmonella. The baby had a rash and they haven't said what else caused the baby to be so sick at this point.
Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting matofour: I still don't see what's irresponsible. They were cleared by a dr. Many people live off the grid and was diapers in sinks, doesn't make them irresponsible.
Quoting Karmahappens:

You need the full story...... They sailed to Mexico  when she was pregnant with her youngest and lived there for 18 months. The husband passed the captains licensing course from the Coast Guard, but had never done a long trip like this before. BOTH kids and the Mom had been too ill  to leave  initially-they delayed their trip a week or so-all three  had been on antibiotics for varied illnesses. The Mom and baby had tested positive for salmonella.

So about 8 days later they left...supposedly after the Mexican Dr cleared them...They had only 30 gallons of  diesal fuel (needed if there was no wind) They had no pressuirzed water system and NO Hot water system. She blogged about washing the cloth diapers in the sink in the galley (kitchen)

One news report said the baby had salmonella...

The sailboat was 36 feet long .

So now what do you all think?

The CURRENT reason the baby is ill is salmonella.   And no you can't wash  diapers with poop in them in the kitchen sink.  Well you can-but this might be the result.

IF you choose to live off of the grid, one might assume you could still heat up water...or have a wood burning fireplace and a wook burning boiler

"While her condition has stabilized, she still requires medical treatment," said a release from the California Air National Guard.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Read: James Franco Admits to Flirting with 17-Year-Old Girl

NBC 7 has learned the baby may suffer from some type of salmonella and has been given antibiotics.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       To complicate things, rescuers have discovered the sailboat has no power and no capability of steering itself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It's reportedly close, compact quarters on the boat, but all

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I agree with you, I do think they should be charged. In some instances and circumstances they CAN be charged. From what I understand. the military uses these instances ad training exercises and doesn't charge. However, National Park Services and certain States (such as New Hampshire) do have the ability to charge given the circumstances.

I had a friend who got lost in the Mountains in Northern CA, and was rescued by Search and Rescue. He was charged. He also violated the policies.

Here is an interesting but old article from Time Magazine on the topic. It brings up alot of very good points.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2008/04/national-park-search-and-rescue-should-rescued-help-pay-bills

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Why not?

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

eviesmom453
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Oh, ffs! Should we have just sat back and let the baby die?

Quoting Sisteract:

Yes.

I also think that the family should have to reimburse the taxpayers for the money spent on their rescue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN