Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

Posted by   + Show Post

Navy Dramatically Rescues Sick 1-Year-Old Who Was Stuck at Sea

by Ericka Sóuter

It was like the scene out of a nail-biting action flick. A 1-year-old girl became seriously ill on a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean and the Navy heroically came to the rescue.

Lyra Kaufman, her sister and their parents were sailing around the world when the trouble began. Something went wrong with the sailboat and it lost power, leaving the family stranded 900 miles away from land. 

Then, little Lyra started to get very sick. She first broke out with a severe rash and then got an infection. They sent out distress signals and the Navy answered their desperate call. A team of medics flew out and then parachuted into the Pacific Ocean to save the baby girl. Now she is thankfully on the mend.

See more on the dramatic rescue.

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I do, because most families are not trained sailors...least of all the entire family. I've seen several accounts where the father is chasing a hobby and a dream and takes the entire family and every time it's ended in disaster that nearly killed everyone, they had to be rescued from...on taxpayer's dime. The ocean is an incredibly hostile place and you really need to be highly trained to just give up land entirely and spend 24/7 way out on the waves. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It's quite hard to seek medical care for a sick person who is out bobbing in a sinking sailboat.

When babies and toddler get sick, they go down fast, much faster than adults (and they also rebound up quite nicely with appropriate treatment).

The sea presents much bigger issues than are generally encounterd on land- in a car, hiking in reasonable places, camping...

Hiking is one thing. Hiking Everest is another.

Driving to Target is one thing. Driving Nascar is another.

Boating is one thing, Taking your small kids hundreds of miles offshore in a not very seaworthy sailboat, quite another.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I don't think it was irresponsible at all as long as they were well prepared. Having kids doesn't mean your life is over.

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Quoting matofour: Great But they were also cleared by a doctor to travel before they left. Cleared. Meaning the dr found no reason they could not continue on with their trip. They delayed it 8 days, and left after clearance from a dr.
Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting matofour: They had salmonella before they left. Not while on the boat. They had been cleared by a dr before they left from the salmonella. The baby had a rash and they haven't said what else caused the baby to be so sick at this point.
Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting matofour: I still don't see what's irresponsible. They were cleared by a dr. Many people live off the grid and was diapers in sinks, doesn't make them irresponsible.
Quoting Karmahappens:

You need the full story...... They sailed to Mexico  when she was pregnant with her youngest and lived there for 18 months. The husband passed the captains licensing course from the Coast Guard, but had never done a long trip like this before. BOTH kids and the Mom had been too ill  to leave  initially-they delayed their trip a week or so-all three  had been on antibiotics for varied illnesses. The Mom and baby had tested positive for salmonella.

So about 8 days later they left...supposedly after the Mexican Dr cleared them...They had only 30 gallons of  diesal fuel (needed if there was no wind) They had no pressuirzed water system and NO Hot water system. She blogged about washing the cloth diapers in the sink in the galley (kitchen)

One news report said the baby had salmonella...

The sailboat was 36 feet long .

So now what do you all think?

The CURRENT reason the baby is ill is salmonella.   And no you can't wash  diapers with poop in them in the kitchen sink.  Well you can-but this might be the result.

IF you choose to live off of the grid, one might assume you could still heat up water...or have a wood burning fireplace and a wook burning boiler

"While her condition has stabilized, she still requires medical treatment," said a release from the California Air National Guard.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Read: James Franco Admits to Flirting with 17-Year-Old Girl

NBC 7 has learned the baby may suffer from some type of salmonella and has been given antibiotics.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       To complicate things, rescuers have discovered the sailboat has no power and no capability of steering itself.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It's reportedly close, compact quarters on the boat, but all

They left 8 days after she posted this

Cora: la princesa (as she calls herself) is currently taking three types of antibiotics, and a cough suppressant, to battle a bacterial upper respiratory infection.
Lyra: my little engineer (as I call her) is currently taking three types of antibiotics and a steroid, to battle bronchitis and a bacterial upper respiratory infection. 
We're all taking probiotics, eating well, resting, and getting plenty of fluids. We're under a great doctor's care, we're all on the mend, and we're in good spirits.

I don't know about you, but I have been on antibiotics-many times for 10 days. And steriodNEVER end in 7 days-you always have a taper dosage.

Maybe the kids were just fine, but i have my doubts..her blog details all sorts of things needed to get ready to go and never mentions a final Dr's visit...

OH and she wrote that on Tuesday-along with this

Because of all this health fun, we missed the Monday weather window for departure. No worries, there will be more windows. We're eyeing Friday as a day to leave (and yes, I know that is a superstitious day for some sailors; they don't like to leave on Fridays. I view Fridays as a wonderful day to do anything at all.)

So celarly she was NOT Initially planning for a one week follow up visit to the Dr's.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM

No, just putting your children in the car and driving has risks.  Thank goodness the Navy was able to respond so quickly.  

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree with you. AND- there was discussion about the "boat taking on water each time it started" of which they were aware of prior to leaving. In reading the blogs and various news articles about it, she is really getting blasted for things she wrote demonstrating her lack of knowledge on hygiene..They sound irresponsible, it wasn't their boat, it's a new pilot license, lack of proper hygiene, they 've never done this before, and other reports...  I'm not coming to their defense whatsoever.

Some people are saying it was simply negligent and that their ability to care for the children is in question.

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting matofour: I still don't see what's irresponsible. They were cleared by a dr. Many people live off the grid and was diapers in sinks, doesn't make them irresponsible.
Quoting Karmahappens:

You need the full story...... They sailed to Mexico  when she was pregnant with her youngest and lived there for 18 months. The husband passed the captains licensing course from the Coast Guard, but had never done a long trip like this before. BOTH kids and the Mom had been too ill  to leave  initially-they delayed their trip a week or so-all three  had been on antibiotics for varied illnesses. The Mom and baby had tested positive for salmonella.

So about 8 days later they left...supposedly after the Mexican Dr cleared them...They had only 30 gallons of  diesal fuel (needed if there was no wind) They had no pressuirzed water system and NO Hot water system. She blogged about washing the cloth diapers in the sink in the galley (kitchen)

One news report said the baby had salmonella...

The sailboat was 36 feet long .

So now what do you all think?

The CURRENT reason the baby is ill is salmonella.   And no you can't wash  diapers with poop in them in the kitchen sink.  Well you can-but this might be the result.

IF you choose to live off of the grid, one might assume you could still heat up water...or have a wood burning fireplace and a wook burning boiler

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:07 PM

It could have turned out fine.  Hard to judge, after the fact, as I don't know the parents, their level of knowledge and preparation, etc.

That said, I personally would not travel with children so young.  I'd want everyone to be big enough and strong enough to help in an emergency or be able to withstand a storm. 

ladyvamp5489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Sitting in your house these days can be dangerous. I give them Kudos for giving their girls an adventure!  

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:13 PM

That's a tough one.

Having worked in search and rescue I know a bit about what it takes to stage an operation like this. Only a bit because this is the Navy and other entities involved and it's massive! I know how dangerous S and R can be for the rescuers. To have to do this because people have taken a very young child that cannot fend for itself into a dangrous situation does make me want to say it is irresponsible. So many lives at risk and not just the childs.

That being said, I don't necessarily want to say parents *shouldn't* have adventures with young kids, but I wish sometimes people thought things through better.  The problem with the families attitude "rememer it is far safer to sail around the world than to drive" is that it doesn't account for the vast vast amounts of resources needed to rescue them. And they did need rescuing. That is undeniable.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Quoting ladyvamp5489:

Sitting in your house these days can be dangerous. I give them Kudos for giving their girls an adventure!  

How much would a 3 and 1 year old glean from such an adventure? How much will they even remember?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN