Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

Posted by   + Show Post

Navy Dramatically Rescues Sick 1-Year-Old Who Was Stuck at Sea

by Ericka Sóuter

It was like the scene out of a nail-biting action flick. A 1-year-old girl became seriously ill on a sailboat stranded in the middle of the ocean and the Navy heroically came to the rescue.

Lyra Kaufman, her sister and their parents were sailing around the world when the trouble began. Something went wrong with the sailboat and it lost power, leaving the family stranded 900 miles away from land. 

Then, little Lyra started to get very sick. She first broke out with a severe rash and then got an infection. They sent out distress signals and the Navy answered their desperate call. A team of medics flew out and then parachuted into the Pacific Ocean to save the baby girl. Now she is thankfully on the mend.

See more on the dramatic rescue.

Do you think it's irresponsible to sail around the world with children so young?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Replies (91-96):
Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I'm assuming they are taxpayers.  Therefore, they have paid into the very system that rescued them; I see no need to charge them a bill.

Otherwise, it does seem like they took unnecessary risks.  But the type of people they clearly are are so far away from the type of person I am, that it's really hard for me to understand them. 

But I'm not going to condemn them or anything.  Apparently everyone who lives on a California fault line with infants are taking unnecessary risks, too. . . .so just not going to judge them.  I'm really, really just glad that everything seems like it will turn out okay, although it looks like her sister is going to have four new houseguests soon.

Actually the husband blogged about how he hadn't  paid taxes for years and that the IRS had caught up with  him.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I'm assuming they are taxpayers.  Therefore, they have paid into the very system that rescued them; I see no need to charge them a bill.

Otherwise, it does seem like they took unnecessary risks.  But the type of people they clearly are are so far away from the type of person I am, that it's really hard for me to understand them. 

But I'm not going to condemn them or anything.  Apparently everyone who lives on a California fault line with infants are taking unnecessary risks, too. . . .so just not going to judge them.  I'm really, really just glad that everything seems like it will turn out okay, although it looks like her sister is going to have four new houseguests soon.

Actually the husband blogged about how he hadn't  paid taxes for years and that the IRS had caught up with  him.

Glad they caught up with him.

crafthag
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM
No. This is their lifestyle. They'd been out there almost a year already.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM

So they are tax evaders?

Stick them with the bill, pronto.

NJMOM201
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:59 AM

If you have the means...do it! 

vedamarie
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:51 AM

yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)