Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jeb Bush: Immigration is 'not a felony' but 'an act of love'

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM
KK
  • 48 Replies

Jeb Bush: Immigration is 'not a felony' but 'an act of love'

(CNN) - Jeb Bush said the debate over immigration reform needs to move past derisive rhetoric describing illegal immigrants.

The former Florida governor said in an interview Sunday in College Station, Texas, that people who come to the United States illegally are often looking for opportunities to provide for their families that are not available in their home countries.

"Yes, they broke the law, but it's not a felony. It's an act of love, it's an act of commitment to your family," Bush told Fox News host Shannon Bream at town hall event at the George Bush Presidential Library Center.

"I honestly think that is a different kind of crime, that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn't rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families," he said.

"I think we need to kind of get beyond the harsh political rhetoric to a better place."

Bush acknowledged that his comments would be recorded. "So be it," he said before discussing immigration reform, an area where he splits from many in the Republican Party in lobbying for a comprehensive overhaul.

Bush also talked at length about education reform, another issue on which he is at odds with many in the GOP. In his two terms as governor of Florida, Bush overhauled the state's education system, introducing a school voucher program and banning the use of race as a factor in university admissions.

"The system we have today with over 13,000 government-run, politicized, unionized monopolies is probably not the best governance model for 2014 and going forward," he said.

continue reading: 2016 decision by year's end

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM
4 moms liked this

One of the few times I've agreed with ol' Jeb (immigration).

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
It will be ironic if another Bush is the most viable Republican in '16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM
7 moms liked this

I will pee myself laughing if Republicans all of a sudden become the party of compassionate immigration reform.  

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: It will be ironic if another Bush is the most viable Republican in '16.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Felony or no, they are committing a crime just by stepping foot American soil. We have enough law breakers, we don't need more.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
5 moms liked this
They need to soften their stance on something, and cheap labor is good for business...

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

I will pee myself laughing if Republicans all of a sudden become the party of compassionate immigration reform.  

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: It will be ironic if another Bush is the most viable Republican in '16.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

His wife is hispanic. He is pandering to the hispanic vote - I'm betting on George P Bush in 2024

jjames1990
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Someone had to have switched his Bush Oil for Spanish Fly!
jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM
"Yes, they broke the law, but it's not a felony. It's an act of love, it's an act of commitment to your family," Bush told Fox News host Shannon Bream at town hall event at the George Bush Presidential Library Center.

"I honestly think that is a different kind of crime, that there should be a price paid, but it shouldn't rile people up that people are actually coming to this country to provide for their families," he said.

I agree.
tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Both he and his brother have not exactly been hard on immigration.
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM

"They" say he is winding up to make a play at the next elections. He has been saying no, no, no all along. Now it seems like a maybe. *shrug*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN