Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Georgia cop pulls gun on black children because building a tree house is ‘hazardous’

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM
  • 21 Replies

By David Edwards
Sunday, April 6, 2014 9:35 EDT

Omari Grant (WSB)

Police in Georgia are investigating reports that officers pulled a gun on African-American children who were building a tree house in their neighborhood.

Omari Grant, 11, told WSB-TV that he and several friends were behind his home constructing the tree fort when a neighbor called 911 with concerns’ about the children’s safety.

“There were falling hazards, tripping hazards, all types of hazards, so No. 1 was concern for the children and concern for the environment,” Edgar Dillard, whose wife made the 911 call, explained.

And the Henry County police officers who showed up took the call so seriously that they were prepared to use deadly force.

“I guess the release of tension was like, ‘Mom, he had a gun in my face, Mommy. Mommy, he had a gun in my face,’” Omari’s mother, Janice Baptiste, said. “So my son was of course traumatized by that.”

Omari recalled what happened: “I was thinking that I don’t want to be shot today, so I just listened to what they said.”

After using foul language, the officer ordered the children to get on the ground, Omari said.

“I learned that they’re supposed to help you not make you feel scared to even come outside,” the 11-year-old explained.

Henry County Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Joey Smith said that the department began investigating after Omari’s mother filed a complaint about excessive use of force.

“If it was justified then we’ll deal with it, if it wasn’t we’ll address it as well,” Smith insisted.

For video of this go to the link here, since cafemom only allows for embedding a narrow selection of video players.

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:43 PM
6 moms liked this

Going off of what is written here, my first thought is why the hell did the neighbors call 911 for something like this, unless it was to cause issues.

You go over, speak with the parents if you are certain they were in danger or doing something wrong.

If the police acted in such a way, they do not need to be on the police force.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Calling 911 on kids building a treehouse? That's odd. More to it I'm sure.

Nothing coming from the officer's side of the story?  That's odd. Oh wait....no it's not. 

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Did I read right? Concern for the children and concern for the environment? I call bullshit on the caller. Why not just talk to the kids and/or their parents? I'm also curious whose property this was - it simply says behind their house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cmgmqmmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like a meddler for a neighbor with too much time on her hands. She's probably a CM member.

Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Weird.   We live next to the Village Office/Police.    The hubby got in trouble for our treehouse.   He was told no hunting stands within the Village proper.  He told them it was a tree house for his sons.   The code enforcement officer and the police threatened to arrest him if the tree house didn't come down.  

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Why is their race mentioned?

RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:10 PM

My first reaction is 'its none of your business nosy neighbors'

then 'why did the police react so violently'

this story needs more information i think.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

haha-she probably was!

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Sounds like a meddler for a neighbor with too much time on her hands. She's probably a CM member.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:12 PM

For once I agree with you Dar. 

Quoting Radarma:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Quoting Radarma:

I skipped over that.  I did not read, in this article, why their race would have any impact.

If, at a later date more information is there and it deems their race has something to do with it, I may change my mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)