Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

North Carolina billboard suggests ‘holy war’ against gays: resident

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM
  • 34 Replies

Some residents of a North Carolina town are lashing out against a billboard they think promotes “holy war” against gay people.

Michelle Grosse claims the anti-gay billboards that have popped up in the town of Clyde are unchristian and should be taken down.

“That's not the kingdom of heaven," Grosse told WLOS. “That’s rude and nasty.”

The sign in question features a message that is short and blunt. “Coexist, tolerance, sexual perversion? God says, ‘NO!’” the sign reads.

It points to three verses in the Bible from Isaiah, 1 Corinthians, and Revelation that call out God’s wrath against sexual immorality and a number of other sins.

“Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God,” reads 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.

The passages also foretell a violent end for those who stray from God’s plan.

“He has stretched out His hand against them and stricken them, and the hills trembled. Their carcasses were as refuse in the midst of the streets,” Isaiah 5:25 reads.

Grosse says she was infuriated after noticing the billboards in her town. She claims the sentiment behind the signs are actually unchristian because they are intolerant. Grosse also says doesn’t like being represented this way, as if her town is full of “a bunch of yahoo’s.”

“This almost sounds as though this is a call for a holy war,” Grosse said. “I mean, if we’re not to tolerate, and we’re not to coexist, what are we supposed to do? Wipe out the infidel?”

But other residents in the town think the signs should stay up.

"If they want to complain about something, complain about something that needs to be fixed," said Allen Thornburg. “That don’t need to be fixed. That needs to stay up there.”

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM
The extreme religious controls the psychopaths.

Teahad..
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

People who believe as those who put up those billboards, and support what they say, will have to answer themselves one day.  

I can't imagine being that type or person, that type of so-called 'Christian'.

God has to be so ashamed of you.  

As for the billboards being up, I wouldn't mind as long as it pointed out every individual in that town who is so demented in mind to agree with this.  I would want to know who these fools are.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

If followers of this particular...uh...offshoot of Christianity had billboards up decrying violence, cruelty, poverty and hate.....I'd have all kind of respect for them, even if i'm not a believer in any sort of religion.  It would spread positivity, it would come close to what I think is at the heart of most religions.

This....just spreads negativity and hate and for people to do that at all, let alone in the name of a supreme being makes me sick.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Podunk backwoods Deliverance types.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I wish we could convince all the bigoted ass backward thinking morons to move to one area of the country and just STAY there and leave the rest of us alone.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I have often fantasized (which is a little weird in itself) of there being a time when those fools stand before God and God tells them, face to face, "you got it all wrong, asshole" before sending them to hell.  Or perhaps even better, has them reincarnated as a homosexual in the bible belt.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

People who believe as those who put up those billboards, and support what they say, will have to answer themselves one day.  

I can't imagine being that type or person, that type of so-called 'Christian'.

God has to be so ashamed of you.  

As for the billboards being up, I wouldn't mind as long as it pointed out every individual in that town who is so demented in mind to agree with this.  I would want to know who these fools are.

lga1965
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM
I'm not surprised. This is not unusual. They're getting bold and arrogant now. As I have said many times, there are tpo many backward, bigoted, undereducated people who hate and I knew quite a few, unfortunately, at work and in our neighborhood. People have bashed me for discussing this in the past and hinting that I was lying.....now you guys can see I was telling the truth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Yup.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Podunk backwoods Deliverance types.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM
6 moms liked this

I know somebody special who live in N.C. ;)

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Wow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)