Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christian Parents Fight for Their Kids’ Right to Evangelize Students at School

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM
  • 62 Replies

Third and fourth grade students Steven and Patrick Peterson have reportedly passed out fake coins with biblical messages at Desert Knolls Elementary School in Apple Valley, Calif. for over a year.

On one side of the coins is the Bible verse "John 3:16," while the other side says: "Where will you spend eternity?"

The San Bernardino Sun reports that Allen and Kelly Peterson, the boys' parents, instructed their children not to distribute the coins during class time, but during recess.

“The kids would take four, five, six of them to school,” Allen said. “A lot of [their friends] will ask them to bring more coins because they’ll take them home to give them out to family and friends.”

According to Patrick, a teacher allegedly told him in January, "I hate them and they’re a distraction to my class. I don’t want to see them anymore."

In another alleged incident on Valentine’s Day, the Peterson boys made homemade valentines, which included candy and the Bible verse coins for their classmates, but another teacher went through the Valentine’s bags and took out all the coins, claiming they were a violation of California law.

Allen Peterson contacted the school principal, but claims he was told that nothing could happen on the school's campus without the principal's permission.

In response, the Christian law firm Freedom X, sent a letter to the Apple Valley Unified School District demanding an apology.

William Becker, Jr., an attorney and CEO of Freedom X, told CBS Los Angeles, "Public school teachers in this day and age can't play dumb anymore. They know the law prevents religious discrimination, yet they can't help but act on their bigoted instincts. That has to stop."

Freedom X recently claimed victory on its website based on a letter it received from Apple Valley Unified School District Superintendent Thomas Hoegerman who said his investigation made "it clear that although no violation of the children's rights was intended, a teacher was mistaken as to obligations under the law."

"I can assure the Petersons that corrective actions are underway," wrote Hoegerman.

Sources: San Bernardino Sun, CBS Los Angeles, FreedomXLaw.com

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Those parents are idiots.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

These people are picking a fight.  The want  this to be on the news.  But now what will happen when a radical Imam does the same thing?  Then instead of class there will be conflicts. 

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM
5 moms liked this

I wonder how they would feel if their children brought home coins from any other religion, other than Christian.  My guess is their tune would change dramatically.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

jfc

really?

I would take the coins and melt them into something more entertaining.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Perhaps the parents are just trying to pick a fight and perhaps they are idiots, who knows. That however, doesn't change the fact that the teacher who, as the article states, said he/she hated them could have handled it much, much better and the teacher who went through the Valentine's day bags was, imo, wrong also. What gave him/her the right to go through them and remove whatever he/she personally didn't like?

There's a bit of a fine line here and it appears that everyone crossed it to some degree.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM
4 moms liked this

Parents using their children as mouthpieces- 

I hate that so much.

If the parents want to evangelize, they can get off their keisters and do the work themselves-pick a darn street corner, overpass, their own front yard.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM
My kid isn't allowed to have toys or other non essential non school materials in class. It goes for the whole school. They can have stuff in their backpack, but aren't allowed to have it out in class time. A kid distributing things at recess to other students may very well cause a disruption in class. Another rule is that snack bags brought into the school for the purpose of distribution to other students must have only edibles in the bag. Non edibles may be affixed or distributed as long as they are not in contact with food items. Even cupcakes with toy rings are not permitted.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Where is Friday? 

I'd like her take on this-it's in her neck of the woods.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this
No one has a right to force their evangelizing on another person.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)