Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you ready for higher gas prices?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM
  • 47 Replies

The price of oil edged up closer to $103 a barrel Wednesday amid unrest in eastern Ukraine, even as a report showed a large rise in U.S. crude stockpiles.

By early afternoon in Europe, benchmark U.S. crude oil for May delivery was up 25 cents to $102.81 in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The contract gained $2.12 to $102.56 on Tuesday.

Brent crude, used to set prices for international oil varieties, was up 31 cents to $107.98 on the ICE Futures exchange in London.

Traders are uneasy about the potential for disruption of supplies due to instability in eastern Ukraine and more sanctions on Russia, a crucial supplier of oil and natural gas to Europe. Pro-Russian separatists have seized government buildings in several cities in Ukraine’s industrial east in the aftermath of Russia’s annexation of Crimea.

Meanwhile, the announced reopening of four Libyan export terminals could turn out to be a drawn-out process, meaning it is unlikely to boost supplies imminently, analysts concluded.

Prices also rose despite a report of surging U.S. crude stockpiles. The industry-funded American Petroleum Institute said late Tuesday that crude stocks expanded by 7.1 million barrels last week, while a survey of analysts by Platts, the energy information arm of McGraw-Hill Cos., had predicted a rise of 2.5 million barrels.

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
It went up here $0.23 overnight.

FML
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I have a dollar off every gallon on a fill up through a grocery store rewards card.

Maybe I should save that for the summer instead of tomorrow when we go to St, Louis.

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Ours is at $3.50 and jumped almost a quarter.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: It went up here $0.23 overnight. FML

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Yup ours is at $3.59 now

Quoting stormcris:

Ours is at $3.50 and jumped almost a quarter.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: It went up here $0.23 overnight.

FML

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
It's gone up about .65 a gallon since we moved here at the end of January. It's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I think those store cards are going to become hot items soon.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I have a dollar off every gallon on a fill up through a grocery store rewards card.

Maybe I should save that for the summer instead of tomorrow when we go to St, Louis.

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Ours isn't based on how much you buy, but what you buy.   Things like if you buy 3 avocados, you get 1 cent off a gallon on the next fill up.   Mondays are great because if you buy 30 dollars worth of meat or fish from the meat department cases, you get 25 cents off a gallon.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Us too but the store isn't close...

With gas increasing it's not worth the drive because that $1 per gallon is spent driving there. Bah.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM

That sounds like a good way to go about it. Ours are based on how much you buy plus certain items will give you extra. You get $0.05 for every $50 dollars spent and some items will give you $0.10 more just for buying that item. I try to make sure I pick up the bonus items if they are something I can use.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ours isn't based on how much you buy, but what you buy.   Things like if you buy 3 avocados, you get 1 cent off a gallon on the next fill up.   Mondays are great because if you buy 30 dollars worth of meat or fish from the meat department cases, you get 25 cents off a gallon.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I live in an area now where prices are the most stable I've ever seen.  We've lived here a year, and gas prices haven't varied more than about 30 cents the entire time.

Gas prices spike every spring and summer, though.  If there's not a reason, there's a made up reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN