Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So those that stuck up for Cummings what do you have to say about the new turn of event?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

Rep. Issa Reveals Emails Between Rep. Cummings' Staff and Targets of IRS Investigation

IRS to hand over emails to ISSA

KDAF - Dallas

The IRS commissioner has agreed to hand over more emails in the investigation into the IRS targeting scandal.

The IRS commissioner has agreed to hand over more emails in the investigation into the IRS targeting scandal.

The heat in the IRS investigation just went up. Rep. Darrell Issa, head of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, sent a letter today to ranking member Rep. Elijah Cummings in which he accuses Cummings of working to "obstruct the investigation" into IRS misbehavior.

The bulk of Rep. Issa's letter is devoted to some recently uncovered emails which demonstrate that Rep. Cummings was seeking information on True the Vote, the voter integrity group based in Texas which became the target of much unwanted government attention.

Cummings' staff contacted the IRS in August 2012 to inform them that they would be opening an investigation into True the Vote's activities. Then in October 2012 Cummings' office began requesting information directly from True the Vote which was very similar to what had previously been requested by the IRS.

For instance, in February the IRS requested information True the Vote's software and training materials. Rep. Cummings office also asked for information on True the Vote's software and training materials in their October 2012 request. Issa's letter suggests the similarities might be more than a mere coincidence, "This timeline and pattern of inquiries raises concerns that the IRS improperly shared protected taxpayer information with your staff."

Five days after Rep. Cumming's first letter to True the Vote in October 2012, in which he requested information on "training materials used for volunteers," the IRS sent True the Vote another request asking for information on volunteers and training.

Then in January 2013, Cummings' office sent a request for information on True the Vote public tax information to the IRS. This request was handled by Holly Paz with oversight from Lois Lerner. Eventually Paz did forward copies of public information back to Rep. Cummings staff. However this transaction was, according to Issa's letter, never mentioned to the Majority staff even after Paz and Lerner became a focus of the IRS targeting investigation.

Issa's letter closes with a demand that Rep. Cummings "explain the full extent of you and  your staff's communications with the IRS and why you chose to keep communications with the IRS from Majority Members and staff even after it became a subject of controversy."

Rep. Issa and Rep. Cummings have been at odds over the IRS matter for months. The tension seemed to reach a new high last month when Issa cut Cummings' microphone as Rep. Cummings was launching into a loud speech clearly intended to highlight his outrage. Issa later apologized for his behavior but that didn't stop Democrats from suggesting Issa should lose his Chairmanship over the incident.

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't expect much.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this
This doesn't surprise me at all. I knew he had something to hide, the way he exploded in court. like a toddler having a temper tantrum.
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Lois Lerner was criminally refered to the Justice Dept. I wonder if he will.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure we can expect the same scrutiny to be placed on Cummings as was and continues to be placed on Christy for comparable accusations.  Although my prediction is if this receives any focus Cummings will play the race card right along with Holder.  

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Issa = Easu

That's all.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

House Panel Votes to Hold IRS Official in Contempt

A House Committee voted Thursday to hold a former Internal Revenue Service official in contempt of Congress for refusing to answer questions at a pair of hearings.

The official, Lois Lerner, previously headed the IRS division that processes applications for tax-exempt status. Last May, after providing an opening statement, Lerner refused to answer questions at a House Oversight Committee hearing about IRS agents improperly singling out tea party applications for extra scrutiny. She again refused to answer questions at hearing in March.

Lerner cited her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

The Oversight Committee voted 21-12 Thursday to hold her in contempt. All Republicans voted in favor and all Democrats voted against.

Committee chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said Lerner had effectively waived her Fifth Amendment right not to answer questions by providing an opening statement at the 2013 hearing. In her statement, Lerner said she did nothing wrong, broke no laws and never lied to Congress.

"We need Ms. Lerner's testimony to complete our oversight work," Issa said. "American taxpayers certainly don't get to plead the Fifth and escape all accountability when the IRS audits them."

Lerner's lawyer and Democrats on the committee disagree that she waived her constitutional rights by making an opening statement.

Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland, the top Democrat on the oversight committee, has compiled a growing list of constitutional experts who say the contempt case is weak. Some say Lerner did not waive her rights while others say that even if she did, Issa didn't follow proper procedures for holding her in contempt.

"The vote is the latest event in the majority's ?never-ending effort to keep the IRS story alive through this fall's midterm elections," said Lerner's lawyer, William W. Taylor III. "Ms. Lerner did not waive her Fifth Amendment rights by proclaiming her innocence. There is ?not a court in this country that will hold Ms. Lerner in contempt of Congress."

Issa countered with a memo from the House general counsel's office that says he followed proper procedures.

The matter now goes to the full House.

"If Lois Lerner continues to refuse to testify, then the House will hold her in contempt," said House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio.

Cummings said Congress has had little success in having people prosecuted for refusing to testify at hearings. He asked the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service to review cases in which people were prosecuted for contempt of Congress after invoking their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Researchers came up with a handful of cases from the 1950s involving people who were called to testify before the House Committee on Un-American Activities, which was famous for smearing witnesses for alleged ties to the Communist Party. All the convictions were overturned, except for a few in which defendants refused to provide documents.

Cummings seized on the analogy.

"I do not want to go back to the shameful era when Congress tried to strip away the constitutional rights of American citizens under the bright lights of hearings that had nothing to do with responsible oversight and everything to do with the worst kind of partisan politics," Cummings said.

Lerner has emerged as a central figure in investigations by two congressional committees. On Wednesday, the House Ways and Means Committee voted to refer her to the Justice Department for possible criminal prosecution.

Ways and Means investigators say they have uncovered evidence that Lerner may have violated the constitutional rights of conservative groups, misled investigators and risked exposing confidential taxpayer information.

Taylor said Lerner has committed no crimes. He said Lerner has already been interviewed by the Justice Department.

Lerner is an attorney who joined the IRS in 2001. She retired last fall, ending a 34-year career in federal government, which included work at the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission.

The IRS' inspector general said in a report last year that tax-exempt applications from tea party and other conservative groups were set aside for special scrutiny simply because they included words such as "tea party" and "patriots." Several hundred applications, from both conservative and liberal groups, languished for years without a ruling by the IRS, the report said.

Lerner first publicly disclosed the issue at a lawyers' conference in May 2013. At the time, she apologized on behalf of the IRS.

Soon afterward, President Barack Obama forced the acting IRS commissioner to resign, and much of the agency's top leadership has been replaced.

"Hang on, let me send a PM to Jesus so he can join this name calling ignorance ...he's into that these days ...at least according to his peeps."
- sak

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Remember the Democrat Who Went on a Phony Tirade Against Issa at an IRS Hearing? We Got Your Emails

cummings_elijah_011614

If you’ve paid even a modicum of attention to the House Oversight Committee hearings on the IRS scandal, you know that Ranking Member Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) has insisted from the beginning that the Republican-led investigation has been little more than a witch hunt.

Cummings has been accused of virtually running cover for the White House, a charge he has vehemently denied. Now, newly delivered internal emails between Cummings’ staff and the IRS not only prove otherwise, but show that Cummings’ own staff directly communicated with the IRS about at least one of the conservative groups targeted by the agency.

Via the Committee on Oversight & Government Reform website:

Newly delivered internal IRS e-mails sent and received by former IRS Exempt Organizations Director Lois Lerner and other IRS employees show that House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Minority staff, working for Ranking Member Elijah Cummings, began contacting the IRS in August 2012 about targeted non-profit applicant True the Vote.

The Chairman and five Subcommittee Chairmen on the Oversight Committee today sent a letter to Ranking Member Cummings demanding an explanation for his staff’s queries, why the Minority hid these efforts from the Majority, and why the Ranking Member denied such actions by his staff at a February Subcommittee hearing:

“Although you have previously denied that your staff made inquiries to the IRS about conservative organization True the Vote that may have led to additional agency scrutiny, communication records between your staff and IRS officials – which you did not disclose to Majority Members or staff – indicates otherwise,” wrote the Chairman and five Subcommittee Chairmen of the Oversight Committee.

As the Committee is scheduled to consider a resolution holding Ms. Lerner, a participant in responding to your communications that you failed to disclose, in contempt of Congress, you have an obligation to fully explain your staff’s undisclosed contacts with the IRS.”

Among other charges, the letter from chairman Darrell Issa states:

• The IRS and the Oversight Minority made numerous requests for virtually identical information from True the Vote, raising concerns that the IRS improperly shared protected taxpayer information with Rep. Cummings’ staff
  • Cummings denied that his staff, “might have been involved in putting True the Vote on the radar screen of some of these Federal agencies” at a February 6, 2014, subcommittee hearing

So the plot thickens in the scandal that refuses to die – despite the best efforts of Cummings and the Democrats, the White House, and much of the media. How ironic that Cummings himself is now part of it.

Did someone say “poetic justice”?

(this is not a nuetral party source like the one I posted above, but I thought it was funny)

"Hang on, let me send a PM to Jesus so he can join this name calling ignorance ...he's into that these days ...at least according to his peeps."
- sak

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I've said this before will say it again

I heard this story Tuesday evening; I felt it this story would carry more weight than it did through the news cycle. It didn't because the people involved aren't really know to the public.

I mean, how many people really knows who Elijah (maybe I should change my name to: C M) Cummings. To the general public, this is a story of a political official playing politics ... That isn't really new. Besides, there a missing plane out there, with more news that the plane is still missing ... Now that's what the American public wants to hear, not some "inside baseball" politics of GOP vs DEMS in DC.

Now, in my honest view, this does look bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM
6 moms liked this

The IRS targetting groups for their political views should be of TOP concern to every single American.   I am getting so tired of the "oh well, it's just politics" every blessed time a DEMOCRAT is caught with their pants down, figuratively speaking.  This issue is more important than the missing plane because allowing the IRS to go around targetting opponents of the sitting Administration is absolutely wrong and dangerous.

Quoting Donna6503: I've said this before will say it again I heard this story Tuesday evening; I felt it this story would carry more weight than it did through the news cycle. It didn't because the people involved aren't really know to the public. I mean, how many people really knows who Elijah (maybe I should change my name to: C M) Cummings. To the general public, this is a story of a political official playing politics ... That isn't really new. Besides, there a missing plane out there, with more news that the plane is still missing ... Now that's what the American public wants to hear, not some "inside baseball" politics of GOP vs DEMS in DC. Now, in my honest view, this does look bad.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Like when the NAACP was targeted?

Actually, in THIS case, they weren't targeted for their political views.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The IRS targetting groups for their political views should be of TOP concern to every single American.   I am getting so tired of the "oh well, it's just politics" every blessed time a DEMOCRAT is caught with their pants down, figuratively speaking.  This issue is more important than the missing plane because allowing the IRS to go around targetting opponents of the sitting Administration is absolutely wrong and dangerous.

Quoting Donna6503: I've said this before will say it again I heard this story Tuesday evening; I felt it this story would carry more weight than it did through the news cycle. It didn't because the people involved aren't really know to the public. I mean, how many people really knows who Elijah (maybe I should change my name to: C M) Cummings. To the general public, this is a story of a political official playing politics ... That isn't really new. Besides, there a missing plane out there, with more news that the plane is still missing ... Now that's what the American public wants to hear, not some "inside baseball" politics of GOP vs DEMS in DC. Now, in my honest view, this does look bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)