Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stephen Colbert Tapped to Replace David Letterman

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM
  • 41 Replies
It's official: Stephen Colbert will take over the Late Show next year after David Letterman calls it quits. Here's the statement from CBS announcing the big news:
CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning "The Colbert Report," will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. ...
Advertisement

Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast. Colbert's premiere date as host of THE LATE SHOW will be announced after Mr. Letterman determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015. Special creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted LATE SHOW, will be determined and announced at a later date.
"Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career," Colbert said in a statement. "I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead." He added: "I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth."

I'm sure Slate will have much more on the late-night news later, but for now a sampling of our past coverage:
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I hope he lasts longer than Conan on The Tonight Show, but it isn't going to work.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Works for me.  He's a great interviewer

gkcathey
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I'm just wondering when that train wreck with Seth Myers is going to derail.  Gah, couldn't be more awful. 

jcrew6
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  Colbert isn't that great. But, then again neither is CBS.

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM

In his character.

That isn't going to work for the 10:30 CT slot.

Quoting snookyfritz:

SlightlyPerfect
I am so spoiled.
Yesterday at 10:46 AM
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:26 PM
I read he won't be in character.

Seth Meyers isn't doing as well as I had hoped for him either.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

In his character.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM
If CBS wanted a rating boon; they would hire Pat Robinson, not that he would be any good .... But seeing New Yorkers react to him, would be so entertaining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this

No, he's out of character sometimes.  I think he's a great, moral guy and he deserves this. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

In his character.

Quoting snookyfritz:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I think this is a waste of Colbert's talent and it just feels like the wrong fit for him.  Love him on the Report.  

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Cool.

I love Colbert but never watch David Letterman so... maybe I'll make an effort to watch The Late Show.

But I liked Letterman too so... Damn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)