Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you catch her?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM
  • 130 Replies
This is partly rhetorical and partly a day at work. I'm being vague because a real person is involved.

So, a person might have had a seizure at work. When she was ready I helped her off the floor and into a chair. After several minutes she wanted to get up. I told her no, she was still shaking and she needed to sit a while longer. She insisted on standing. This is what I told her, "Bedore you stand up I want you to be aware that if you fall I will not try and catch you. The person who tries to catch the one falling almost always ends up getting hurt themselves. If you fall towards me I will stick my foot out to try and keep your head from hitting but that's all I will do. Do you understand what I'm telling you?" She said yes. I said "Ok, if you still insist on standing up I'm backing away now." I backed away, she stood up and had to catch herself on the wall.

Here endeth the story and here begins the rhetorical. If she had fallen would you have tried to catch her? Would it make a difference if she was a small thin woman or a large heavyset woman? And lastly, do you feel I was cold for what I said, or smart enough to cover my ass? I would really like some opinions. I've had to be BOB at work a lot lately (Big Ol' Bitch) and I'm having a hard time putting BOB back on the shelf.
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I would have caught her.

No,I understand why others would not.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I would have helped her stand up if I could, if she insisted on standing. Esp since you said she was small.

But, you weren't cold- you did what you felt was right. I help old people all the time with that, so I'm fine with it. But, it's good to know proper body mechanics, etc.

You are right though, best if she sat a while. but of course, people don't always listen.

HAHA- I'll have to remember that "BOB" sort of how I feel sometimes!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM
No, she wasn't small. Easily two of me. Then some.

Quoting Ziva65:

I would have helped her stand up if I could, if she insisted on standing. Esp since you said she was small.

But, you weren't cold- you did what you felt was right. I help old people all the time with that, so I'm fine with it. But, it's good to know proper body mechanics, etc.

You are right though, best if she sat a while. but of course, people don't always listen.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I misunderstood!

Ok, I may have tried, if I had a chair right behind her- depending on how stable she was, and if I could grab a hold of her pants :) no kidding. However, I'd probably not have done it on my own and would have asked her to wait so I could get someone else to help and there would be two of us.

Quoting LauraKW: No, she wasn't small. Easily two of me. Then some.
Quoting Ziva65:

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:50 PM

I understand why you did what you did, and I don't think you were wrong.  I would have caught her, personally, or tried to, but that's just me.  I'm not afraid to take a small fall trying to catch someone, but I'm also a large woman and its unlikely catching another woman would hurt me.  

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Only if I am getting paid.
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think what you told her was smart. I would have probably instinctively tried to catch her and am such a klutz, we would have both fallen.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:16 AM
I have known a few coworkers who were injured trying to catch people. Two were injured bad enough to be out of work for quite some time. The falling people in both those incidents were morbidly obese. If the person were small and I could walk them while giving them support so they wouldn't crash to the floor, I would. But if the person was morbidly obese, they would need at least 3 people to assist (one on each side, one behind) to ensure everyone's safety. No I don't think you are cold. You have to protect yourself. If you had hurt yourself, no one is going to take care of you but yourself ( or family).
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:29 AM
5 moms liked this

I think I might have called 911 and sat on her till the medics arrived. Never mind her getting up.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:55 AM

I would have sent her home if she had a seizure.  But these are the seizures Im aware of....grand mal.

My son has grand mal seizures and he is in no condition to work or do anything other than sleep, although he does seem to have moments of clarity....he does not.

If someone was falling my instinct is to catch them.  Do I think you were being a BOB ....no, but I was wondering if it was within your power (supervisor / manager?) why you didnt send her home?  If I knew someone on my staff was a high chance of hurting herself or possibly others, they would not have been working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)