Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

High School Students Killed in Horrific Crash After Truck Collides Into Bus

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 20 Replies

High School Students Killed in Horrific Crash After Truck Collides Into Bus (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

What an absolutely heartbreaking story. Ten people, including five high school students, were killed in a tragic fiery crash that took place on a California highway Thursday night. The students and their adult chaperones were traveling on the I-5 from Los Angeles to visit Humboldt State University in northern California when a FedEx truck crossed a median and hit the charter bus head-on. Both vehicles erupted into flames, killing five students, three chaperones, and the drivers of both the bus and FedEx truck.

The bus was one of three packed with students from various L.A. high schools who were interested and curious about the university. We're still not sure what caused the FedEx truck to jump the median, and it could take several months before investigators solve that mystery. For now, many parents are being forced to deal with the nightmarish reality that their children have been killed or severely injured on a trip that was supposed to be a positive, educational experience.

After the crash, which witnesses say caused several explosions, at least 34 people were taken to the hospital with injuries that ranged from bruises and scratches to burns. Several victims reportedly remain in critical condition.

Some students tweeted about the terrible experience. Jonathan Gutierrez, who was admitted to the hospital, wrote: "Can't believe this happened...I was asleep and next thing you know I was jumping out for my life. Bruised leg, eyebrow cut open, scratches all over my arm, & all my stuff that I packed is burned. I'm beyond thankful that I'm still here."

There are simply no words to describe the sadness. Our hearts go out to the parents and friends of those who lost their lives, as well as the young survivors of the crash, who have to come to terms with this tragedy.

Here is video footage, including interviews with some of the survivors of the crash:

What do you suspect happened to cause the truck to collide with the tour bus?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I can't even begin to speculate on why that truck crossed the median.

Dear God, this is horrific.  Those parents, everyone involved.  I can't imagine.

I can't wait to pick up my daughter tonight and give her a huge hug.

tcallisto
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Heartbreaking! I want to cry for everyone involved. I'm not sure if they will ever know what caused it. What a tragedy for everyone involved.
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

So sad :( My heart goes out to those families.

IDK what happened. Maybe the Fed Ex driver got tired ,maybe some sort of vehicle malfunction- or since he crossed the median maybe he needed to avoid something on the other side.

There are no cement barriers up that way, it's all Oleanders in the median with some open areas.

We drive it often to go way up to Northen California, it is a long, very boring flat stretch of road, that looks the same for hours. IT's easy to get tired on that road, I know where every Starbucks is for that very reason...so sad. My heart goes out to them.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM
So sad. I watched this morning some of the witness interviews. So horrible...

:-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyVoldemort
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM
So horrible
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

This is horrible, sad, devastating.  My bil investigates crashes for UPS, and his first reacction on Facebook (given the time and location of the accident)~ "I wonder if someone was texting and driving"

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Are there cables running through the Oleanders in that area?

Sad, nonetheless.

Quoting Ziva65:

IDK what happened. Maybe the Fed Ex driver got tired ,maybe some sort of vehicle malfunction- or since he crossed the median maybe he needed to avoid something on the other side.

There are no cement barriers up that way, it's all Oleanders in the median with some open areas.

We drive it often to go way up to Northen California, it is a long, very boring flat stretch of road, that looks the same for hours. IT's easy to get tired on that road, I know where every Starbucks is for that very reason...so sad. My heart goes out to them.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I'm not sure but I don't recall any.

Quoting Sisteract:

Are there cables running through the Oleanders in that area?

Sad, nonetheless.

Quoting Ziva65:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM

What a nightmare :(

redneck_kids
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

My family lives in that little town of Orland just off the freeway. It was so sad for those kids just starting their lives, and chaperones. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN