Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nightmare Neighbor Ordered To Hold 'I AM A BULLY!' Sign - Disabled Children...

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM
  • 25 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/13/edmond-aviv-i-am-a-bully_n_5141776.html

SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio (AP) — A judge has ordered a man convicted of harassing a neighbor and her disabled children to stand on a street corner with a sign that says he is a bully.

Municipal Court Judge Gayle Williams-Byers ordered 62-year-old Edmond Aviv to hold the sign for five hours Sunday. The sign reads: "I AM A BULLY! I pick on children that are disabled, and I am intolerant of those that are different from myself. My actions do not reflect an appreciation for the diverse South Euclid community that I live in."

The judge also said the sign's letters must be large enough for the average person to see from 25 feet away.

Aviv pleaded no contest in February to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct and was sentenced last month, according to court records.

Aviv has feuded with his neighbor, Sandra Prugh, for the past 15 years. The most recent case stems from Aviv being annoyed at the smell coming from Prugh's dryer vent when she did laundry, according to court records. In retaliation, Aviv hooked up kerosene to a fan, which blew the smell onto Pugh's property, the records said.

Prugh has two adult adopted children with developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy and epilepsy; a husband with dementia; and a paralyzed son, the Plain Dealer of Cleveland reported.

Prugh said in a letter to the court that Aviv had called her an ethnic slur while she was holding her adopted black children, spit on her several times, regularly threw dog feces on her son's car windshield and once smeared feces on the family's wheelchair ramp.

"I am very concerned for the safety of our family," Prugh wrote in a letter to the court for Aviv's sentencing. She told the newspaper she just wants to live in peace.

The judge also ordered Aviv to serve 15 days in jail and undergo anger management classes and counseling. He also had to submit a court-ordered apology letter to Prugh.

"I want to express my sincere apology for acting irrationally towards your house and the safety of your children," Aviv wrote. "I understand my actions could have caused harm but at that time I was not really thinking about it."

Aviv's attorney, Scott Fierman, didn't immediately return a message left at his office Saturday.

by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delia42
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I don't believe this will stop him from doing other things in the future. What kind of adult does things like this?!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM
2 moms liked this

What purpose will that serve?  This man is an ugly soul and probably has been the majority of his life.

I would make him do community service.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

He sounds like a real treat.

As in, he needs treatment.  Shame you can't force that on some folks.

Sportbominable
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM
5 moms liked this

People like this should do more than 15 days of jail time. He should also be forced to move away from that family. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 100%.  Make him do 500 hours of community service of the most backbreaking kind.  And give the other family a permanent restraining order against him.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What purpose will that serve?  This man is an ugly soul and probably has been the majority of his life.

delia42
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That's a good point, I wonder why they didn't give him a restraining order... maybe because they live so close? Hopefully the judge made clear if something happens again that he will be punished immediately and not let this go on for so long. Horrible!

Quoting momtoscott:

I agree 100%.  Make him do 500 hours of community service of the most backbreaking kind.  And give the other family a permanent restraining order against him.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

What an asshole. smh

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this

WTF? Public shaming? Again?

Will we be bringing stocks and pillory back now?

Fine the jerk enough to make him think twice before doing it again and make him do some community service.

Making him stand out in public with a sign is juvenile and plain stupid.

KaleaLani
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
He sounds like a real peach.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I would have made him move.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)