Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
  • 174 Replies

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.hartman12
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't believe in any god or goddess, but I don't have a problem with this. Children need to learn that there are all kinds of people in this world and walks of life. Now if it was a staff member, I would have an issue. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

Personally, it would not have offended me or bothered me in the least. *shrug*

LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Apparently she's handing them out during class time as well as before and after school on the school campus.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Apparently she's handing them out during class time as well as before and after school on the school campus.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Are her teachers having issues with her doing so during class time?  I could see that possibly being an issue.

Other than that, I'm not sure she is doing anything wrong.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM
9 moms liked this
Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I am against it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

From what I've heard it's some parents and students that have an issue. If there are teachers upset over it I doubt I'd ever find out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Are her teachers having issues with her doing so during class time?  I could see that possibly being an issue.

Other than that, I'm not sure she is doing anything wrong.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM
I wouldn't mind if I could attend the egg hunt without hearing an hour of how I'm going to hell for not attending that particular church and that my ASD daughter is proof. My DH actually heard that from a sermon at a local church after volunteering for their flag ceremony. He and the other volunteer from the Coast Guard both had SN children who thankfully weren't there to hear it.
LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM

May I ask why? 

Quoting romalove: I am against it.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN