Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
kay283
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
How is an invite to an egg hunt crossing boundaries?
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM
6 moms liked this
Because children are compelled to be in school unless homeschooled. Because they are not there to make it easier for groups to advertise to. Because children in school are told they ate there to learn from expert authority, and cannot discern opinion distributed at school from fact distributed at school. Because not allowing any eliminates the worry of figuring out which advertisements cross lines.

Quoting LiveinJoy:

May I ask why? 

Quoting romalove: I am against it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

fine by me. The student was handing it out. Kids neither have to take it, nor do they need to attend.

However, I think though if it is a issue, that the school shouldn't allow solicitation during school hours, or on campus, because I could see that go awry quickly. It could be anything really, not just a church, but sales anything... Really if they restrict one thing, it should be restricted to any solicitation at all- even girl scout cookies...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

I guess it would come down to what the student handbook states in regards to such things.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Quoting LiveinJoy:

From what I've heard it's some parents and students that have an issue. If there are teachers upset over it I doubt I'd ever find out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Apparently she's handing them out during class time as well as before and after school on the school campus.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

Personally, it would not have offended me or bothered me in the least. *shrug*

Are her teachers having issues with her doing so during class time?  I could see that possibly being an issue.

Other than that, I'm not sure she is doing anything wrong.

Do you know what their specific concerns are?

furbabymum
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. It'd be different if she was giving her friends a quick invite but it sounds like this was church advertisement.

Quoting romalove: Because children are compelled to be in school unless homeschooled. Because they are not there to make it easier for groups to advertise to. Because children in school are told they ate there to learn from expert authority, and cannot discern opinion distributed at school from fact distributed at school. Because not allowing any eliminates the worry of figuring out which advertisements cross lines.
Quoting LiveinJoy:

May I ask why? 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

From what I've heard it's some parents and students that have an issue. If there are teachers upset over it I doubt I'd ever find out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Apparently she's handing them out during class time as well as before and after school on the school campus.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

Are her teachers having issues with her doing so during class time?  I could see that possibly being an issue.

Other than that, I'm not sure she is doing anything wrong.

Do you know what their specific concerns are?

The parents that are upset are saying it's illegal and unconstitutional

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:36 PM

I don't see an egg hunt religious based. Even tho it's on church grounds unless it says you have to attend services, it's not pushing religion. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:38 PM
No it is not crossing boundaries.
tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Are you sure students can't lead each other in prayer because I have seen in done hundreds of times.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN