Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Replies (171-174):
GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:17 PM

My "organized religion" (Baptists) puts others first before themselves...

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting GrannyM.:

Back when I was growiing up (50's and 60's) daily devotions and prayer come on the speaker every morning. It was such a quite referent time of morning that set the pace for the day. I can understand wanting it to be non-denominational but a little prayer never hurt anyone. Even our government knows this as congress starts off the day with prayer every morning. It doesn't hurt a bit.   :)

I grew up in the 60's and we never had prayer in school.  Of course, I grew up in NY and NJ, which is likely different than the South or Midwest on this issue.

Would you be OK if the prayer over the speaker was the five times a day call to prayer for Muslims?  You say you can understand wanting it to be "non denominational".  What sort of prayer would that be?  Would you think if the prayer was a general "Thank you Allah" that cut it?  If not, if you think Allah is specific to one religion, do you think that a reference to God then would leave out that religion since they don't pray to God as you do?  What of those who don't believe in any God?  Should they pretend to pray or, in a place that most people believe, risk ridicule or pressure to pray along with others?

Public schools should be religion free and education rich.

I have to say, though, even as I usually disagree with you, there is something peaceful and charming about your postings.

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Just a simple ... may this day be filled with peace and love....Amen...

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM

No issue with this at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN