Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

I don't see an egg hunt religious based. Even tho it's on church grounds unless it says you have to attend services, it's not pushing religion. 

It's on state grounds, the high school but it's sponsored by a church

LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I have, too

Quoting tanyainmizzou: Are you sure students can't lead each other in prayer because I have seen in done hundreds of times.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

Personally, it would not have offended me or bothered me in the least. *shrug*

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends.

Protected by the US Constitution. No boundary has been crossed. This has been settled by the SCOTUS.
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

I don't see an egg hunt religious based. Even tho it's on church grounds unless it says you have to attend services, it's not pushing religion. 

It's on state grounds, the high school but it's sponsored by a church

Then there is even less issues with it.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:45 PM
What about selling things before and after school?

Just curious... We have people selling Girl Scout cookies, Boy Scout popcorn, raffle tickets, etc.

Quoting romalove: I am against it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

An egg hunt?  Why would it?  Do you have a religious objection to kids getting candy?  That is simply the location of the hand-out of candy.

Now if the kid was inviting others to a church service or a communion, you'd have a case here. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
No issue fom me as long as it's the kid handing the info out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Case cite?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quote:a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends.
Protected by the US Constitution. No boundary has been crossed. This has been settled by the SCOTUS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

They don't know what they are talking about.

Student-led invitations are fine, and this is just an egg hunt, not a church service.

Student-led and initiated prayer is fine also.  I guess their heads will pop off about that. 

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

From what I've heard it's some parents and students that have an issue. If there are teachers upset over it I doubt I'd ever find out.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Apparently she's handing them out during class time as well as before and after school on the school campus.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know, honestly.  Was this student doing so during school hours, in class?  Sounds as if he/she might have been.

It would not have bothered my daughter.  She would either tell me she was interested in going or not.  But honestly, at her age an egg hunt isn't something she would want to hit up unless we were taking her nephew.

Is it illegal for the student to pass these out?  Does it cross the line of separation of Church and State?  Could be??

Students can't lead others in prayer, etc., nor can the admit/teachers but they are allowed to talk about their faith and read the Bible, etc.

Personally, it would not have offended me or bothered me in the least. *shrug*

Are her teachers having issues with her doing so during class time?  I could see that possibly being an issue.

Other than that, I'm not sure she is doing anything wrong.

Do you know what their specific concerns are?

The parents that are upset are saying it's illegal and unconstitutional

LiveinJoy
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

I don't particularly care that this girl is passing them out.

Quoting TranquilMind:

An egg hunt?  Why would it?  Do you have a religious objection to kids getting candy?  That is simply the location of the hand-out of candy.

Now if the kid was inviting others to a church service or a communion, you'd have a case here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN