Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Quoting shannonnigans: Case cite?
Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quote:a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends.
Protected by the US Constitution. No boundary has been crossed. This has been settled by the SCOTUS.

Hedges v. Wauconda Community Sch. Dist., 9 F.3d 1295 (7th Cir. 1993)

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

They are a captive audience to their teachers

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM

No, I don't have a problem with a student handing out postcards to her friends.  Unless:  1) she feels forced to do so, rather than doing it of her own free will, and/or 2) she is giving the cards to people who don't want them, and/or 3) she is using classroom time to do it.   

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM
This too.

Quoting romalove: Because children are compelled to be in school unless homeschooled. Because they are not there to make it easier for groups to advertise to. Because children in school are told they ate there to learn from expert authority, and cannot discern opinion distributed at school from fact distributed at school. Because not allowing any eliminates the worry of figuring out which advertisements cross lines.

Quoting LiveinJoy:

May I ask why? 

Quoting romalove: I am against it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Class time, hell no it is not appropriate. Any other time, as long as techers/admin are not involved, I am fine with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sportbominable
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM

No, who cares. My kids go to Catholic school, but if they were in public school and got a flyer about a Easter Egg hunt at a Lutheran church or a yard sale at a synagogue, I could care less. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM
How about a picnic at the local Church of Satan?

Quoting Sportbominable:

No, who cares. My kids go to Catholic school, but if they were in public school and got a flyer about a Easter Egg hunt at a Lutheran church or a yard sale at a synagogue, I could care less. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Why don't we have kids soliciting for a medical care facility and an electronics store and a massage parlour, too?

I mean, if there's no limit to what people can demand to have the school provide... why stop at church?

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Bake sales

Military recruiters

College recruiters

Job fairs

Candy Sales

Magazine sales

Park festivals

Community concerts

Little league

Boy Scouts

Girl Scouts

All get solicited at schools.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why don't we have kids soliciting for a medical care facility and an electronics store and a massage parlour, too?

I mean, if there's no limit to what people can demand to have the school provide... why stop at church?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)