Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Children soliciting for their place of worship in public school: Does it cross the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't give many details because this is an actual hot topic at the moment.

Recently we have discussed literature being distributed by the school that was sponsored by a specific church. I'm curious about your opinions on this debacle.

Last Thursday a middle school student started handing out postcards inviting fellow students to an egg hunt at the High School being sponsored by the church her family attends. Is this crossing any boundaries in your opinion? 

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I am happy with the teachers herro.

Quoting candlegal:

They are a captive audience to their teachers

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Exactly.

Why not electronics stores and dentists?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Bake sales

Military recruiters

College recruiters

Job fairs

Candy Sales

Magazine sales

Park festivals

Community concerts

Little league

Boy Scouts

Girl Scouts

All get solicited at schools.

Quoting LindaClement:

Why don't we have kids soliciting for a medical care facility and an electronics store and a massage parlour, too?

I mean, if there's no limit to what people can demand to have the school provide... why stop at church?

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM
At my kids school, any sales are affiliated with school clubs. Boy and Girl scout troops cannot send anything home but individual troops can request to use after school facilities like a classroom. We don't have military recruiters or job fairs.

At any rate, the less crap advertised at school the better, IMO.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Bake sales

Military recruiters

College recruiters

Job fairs

Candy Sales

Magazine sales

Park festivals

Community concerts

Little league

Boy Scouts

Girl Scouts

Quoting LindaClement:

Why don't we have kids soliciting for a medical care facility and an electronics store and a massage parlour, too?

I mean, if there's no limit to what people can demand to have the school provide... why stop at church?

blueforewolf
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

nope not in a public school - she can do it off school property 

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

None of the kids have a connection to them?

Quoting LindaClement:

Exactly.

Why not electronics stores and dentists?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Bake sales

Military recruiters

College recruiters

Job fairs

Candy Sales

Magazine sales

Park festivals

Community concerts

Little league

Boy Scouts

Girl Scouts

Quoting LindaClement:

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:26 PM
Doesn't happen at school here, in part because there are strict rules on what kind of foods can be in school. Before and after I don't know how you would monitor. During? No.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: What about selling things before and after school?

Just curious... We have people selling Girl Scout cookies, Boy Scout popcorn, raffle tickets, etc.

Quoting romalove: I am against it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting romalove: Public school children are not there as a captive audience to anyone's advertising, nor should they be.

I here ya but often times kids do solicit, or advertise, for a variety of reasons. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not think solicitation, school grounds and students should even be in the same sentence.

Do your soliciting elsewhere.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM

If they're being handed out during class time, that's a No No but as far as after class, lunch time, etc. I don't see the problem. It's clear what the flyers are inviting others to and middle school students are very able to decline accepting one any way.

The ONLY time I've ever had a problem with something from a church being handed out to kids at school was when my Dd was in grade school. The issue I had was that the flyer was inviting students to a club and it appeared that it was simply a fun club (like any number of other kid groups) after school doing fun activities and that's what Dd and most other kids thought it was. I actually did too until I turned it over and read the fine print. It was a bible study group from a "church" that specifically works on recruiting children. Now if it had been clear and up front that it was a church group, I wouldn't have had a problem with it being handed out, (still wouldn't have allowed Dd to attend)  it was the deceptive part I didn't like.

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately it doesn't cross any legal lines.  Students are allowed to distribute information of a religious nature since it is not sanctioned by anyone employed by the school.  However, I have a problem with any information getting handed out by students en masse.  If you want to give info to your friends, fine.  But solicitations should not be allowed.  

Looking at the two sides of any debate, think about what you would want coming home with your child?  If you are Pro-Vax and your child brought home information about the dangerous side effects of vaccinations.  If you are Pro-Choice and your child brought home the baby-killer style letters.  If you are Pro-life and your child brought home the Plan-B informationals.  Etc, etc.  If we just thought about how we would react to news we didn't want passed on to our children, maybe we wouldn't have these issues so often.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

I send my kids to school to learn, not to get solicitations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)