Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

more on priest sexual abuse

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

Philly BOMBSHELL: New Evidence Further Exonerates Wrongfully Convicted Clerics; Will Justice Be Served? Will the Media Ever Take Notice?

Bernard Shero : Ralph Cipriano : Rev. Charles Engelhardt

Writer Ralph Cipriano (c) continues to shine light on the innocence
of former teacher Bernard Shero (l) and Rev. Charles Engelhardt (r)

Newly discovered medical records provide shocking new evidence that two priests and a Catholic school teacher were most certainly falsely convicted of molesting an altar boy, a new court filing charges.

Veteran journalist Ralph Cipriano – who has been tenaciously uncovering the massive fraud surrounding the prosecutions of Catholic clergy in Philadelphia – has exclusively revealed that a brief has been filed in Pennsylvania Superior Court seeking a new trial for convicted ex-teacher Bernard Shero.

Burton A. Rose, Shero's attorney, filed his brief based on the records which Philadelphia Court of Common Please Judge Lillian Ransom refused, for some reason, to allow the jury to see in the criminal trial. Shero and a number of priests were then later convicted after two very controversial trials in 2012 and 2013.

Stunning information which the judge would not let the jury see

Dan Gallagher : Philadelphia Catholic accuser abuse priest

Twisted face, twisted stories:
Accuser Dan Gallagher

The criminal convictions were based on the wild stories of accuser Dan Gallagher, who claimed at two different trials that three different men – Shero, Fr. Charles Engelhardt, and former priest Edward Avery – somehow raped and molested him at various times when he served as a Philadelphia altar boy in the late 1990s.

According to the new filing as reported by Cipriano, newly uncovered medical records show that Gallagher made at least seven wildly conflicting statements about him being abused – and not being abused.

At one point, Gallagher – an admitted drug addict who reportedly has been arrested at least six times and has been in 23 drug rehabs – told drug counselors that he had "no history of physical or sexual abuse."

And on three separate occasions, Gallagher told drug counselors that his older brother had been arrested for molestation. In truth, Gallagher's older brother, James Gallagher, is a recently licensed attorney in Pennsylvania and has never been arrested at all.

And – most notably – in none of the seven cited statements did Gallagher ever mention any episodes of abuse by a Catholic priest.

Surely, if this information had been put in front of a jury, these men would not now be sitting in prison for crimes which they very likely did not commit.

The media goes M.I.A. – willfully?

This not the first time that the wild claims of accuser Gallagher have been called into serious doubt. (Some of our previous posts – here and here, for example – document further problems with Gallagher's wild stories and the vengeful prosecutions of these men by Philadelphia D.A. Seth Williams.)

For example, Cipriano exclusively reported last March that an alternate juror during the Engelhardt-Shero trial came forward to say after the guilty verdicts that the convictions of the two men were a "tragic miscarriage of justice."

Yet the mainstream media has remained deafeningly silent, especially the media in Philadelphia, which, one might imagine, would take an interest in this gripping tale of injustice perpetrated by a vengeful publicity-hound D.A. and based on the stories of an admitted junkie and criminal.

Below his article, Cipriano posted a salient comment addressing the gross negligence of the Philadelphia mainstream media. It reads in part:

"[T]he [Philadelphia Inquirer], the Daily News, the weeklies, the TV stations all remain on the sidelines, apparently determined to keep silent. If they got involved, some innocent guys stuck in jail would be out by now. And Seth Williams would have had to answer some questions he's been stonewalling on for more than a year. But thanks to the wall of silence, he continues to get away with it."

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chanizen
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Are there some priests falsely accused? Yes. Very likely

That does not excuse the Roman Catholic Church's decisions which involved shifting priests, instituting a cover up, keeping the accused in positions where they have access to, and contact with, children.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

What she said.  

Quoting chanizen: Are there some priests falsely accused? Yes. Very likely That does not excuse the Roman Catholic Church's decisions which involved shifting priests, instituting a cover up, keeping the accused in positions where they have access to, and contact with, children.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I was sexually abused by a priest in elementary school. My parents found out & tried to do something about it but it was the late '60's & early '70's when they still did nothing but reassign the priests even putting them back in touch with kids. My abuser was reassigned to my high school-I was not pleased & neither were my parents. Fortunately I had no classes with this man! I have never joined one of those class action suits against the Catholic Church cause I don't want to relive those days(he said it was my fault & I believed him. I was only 12)& he is most likely dead now anyway. Needless to say I have never trusted priests since then & I am sure there are good ones out there just none I would trust! Esp with my daughter!

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I think we're supposed to be outraged that ANY priest would ever have been accused of anything and this is PROOF that no priest ever molested anyone. Or some such garbage.

Frankly, since no legitimate media has reported this, I suspect it is more apologist claptrap by people who are desperate to whitewash the whole thing.

Quoting chanizen: Are there some priests falsely accused? Yes. Very likely That does not excuse the Roman Catholic Church's decisions which involved shifting priests, instituting a cover up, keeping the accused in positions where they have access to, and contact with, children.

GLWerth
by Gina on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

So sorry that happened to you.

Quoting fudgybuddymom:

I was sexually abused by a priest in elementary school. My parents found out & tried to do something about it but it was the late '60's & early '70's when they still did nothing but reassign the priests even putting them back in touch with kids. My abuser was reassigned to my high school-I was not pleased & neither were my parents. Fortunately I had no classes with this man! I have never joined one of those class action suits against the Catholic Church cause I don't want to relive those days(he said it was my fault & I believed him. I was only 12)& he is most likely dead now anyway. Needless to say I have never trusted priests since then & I am sure there are good ones out there just none I would trust! Esp with my daughter!

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Even if these allegations are true, it doesn't change the fact that the catholic church currently has a policy that suspected abuse does not need to be reported. Shameful
1stmuslimah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Just looking at that ugly kid makes me want to slap that smirk off his face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)