Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Professor suspended over a t-shirt potentially being a threat

Posted by   + Show Post

Professor Suspended Over "Threatening" Game of Thrones T-Shirt

Professor Suspended Over "Threatening" Game of Thrones T-Shirt

A popular community college professor was suspended after posting a photo of his daughter wearing an oversized T-shirt bearing a tagline from this season of Game of Thrones—Daenerys Targaryen's "I will take what is mine with fire and blood."

Francis Schmidt, who teaches art and animation at Bergen Community College in New Jersey, shared the photo on Google+, where it was seen by several of his work contacts. One of them, a dean, decided the shirt was a veiled threat of some kind.

The faculty union is currently in conflict with the school administration over promotions and tenure, and recently registered a vote of no-confidence against the school's president. Schmidt himself had just filed a grievance after being denied a sabbatical. That may explain some of what happened next.

According to Inside Higher Ed, Schmidt got an email over the weekend from Jim Miller, Bergen's HR director, calling him into an immediate meeting with administrators about the alleged "threatening email."

At the meeting, Schmidt explained the shirt in the context of Game of Thrones and showed Miller that the "fire and blood" tagline has 4 million results on Google. The professor asked why his photo had caused such a reaction, and was told that "fire" could be a metaphor for "AK-47s."

Schmidt was placed on administrative leave without pay later that week, and told he would have to pass a psychiatric evaluation before he could return. He says he passed that same evaluation in 2007 after being diagnosed with depression.

In the face of public criticism and rationality, Bergen stuck to its imaginary guns in a statement today:

"The referenced incident refers to a private personnel matter at Bergen Community College. Since January 1, 2014, 34 incidents of school shootings have occurred in the United States. In following its safety and security procedures, the college investigates all situations where a member of its community – students, faculty, staff or local residents – expresses a safety or security concern."

Research has yet to establish a link between support for the Mother of Dragons and likelihood of shooting up a school.

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Replies (61-65):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

You always start BS with me for sure and a few other in here because we disagree with you .You can't stand when someone disagrees with you so you have to personally attack them. I am just going to ignore your cazy mess. You always sound like a broken record. Have fun with your crazy self..

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

I know how to read. Basically you  are saying that you know I have a daughter and know me like you always assume you do. All you do in here is like to start trouble with people who disagree with you which is very immature.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

You don't know me or my daughter..

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Well my daughter dresses really nice and with class. She will not be wearing that crazy mess. We dress really nice and with class too.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Yes I do so get over it. If anything someone is wearing advertises, crime, drugs, alcohol, guns , etc they are going to question the teacher. They are not suppose to be advertising that kind of mess. Why would a child be wearing that anyways? Of course they are going to question his parenting and so on and they should.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

So I am wrong because you say I am LOL. I do not have to agree with you. You are the one who needs to grow up. You are one of those crazy people that thinks everyone has to agree with you. Well got news for you. I don't agree with have the BS you post on here so get over it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

It doesn't matter. He still represents his school. He shouldn't allow his kids wearing inappropriate things that may be offensive. Obviously they though it was offensive.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

I can see where that could be offensive. A teacher shouldn't wear things like that in the first place at school. There are so many shootings, bullying, kids bringing guns to school  these days I can see why they would think that t-shirt is offensive.  A teacher should dress professionally at school. I don't think he should have gotten suspended but a warning to not wear that to school.

You might want to try to pay more attention.

The Professor did not wear the t-shirt, to school or otherwise.

Come on, you are not truly this dense, are you?

You have so much growing up to do.

When you are wrong you cannot simply admit it and move on.  No learning for you.

I do not care if you agree with me.

You were wrong.  Your ignorance is nothing new.  Although I suppose I was hoping that you had been able to mature and learn a bit more before returning under yet another name.

So, in your world of wisdom, this Professor, which is a tad different than a teacher, should lose his position with the college he teaches at based on this t-shirt his daughter was wearing?

Advertising a crime, guns, etc. 

Oh my.

Hold on to your daughter tightly because the world is full of those you deem unworthy and should be fired and otherwise.

Lets hope no one judges your parenting with the expectation of consequences much along the same lines.  Good luck.

Of course you do.

Don't you want to know how I know you have a daughter?  

I never said I know  you or your daughter.  Read again.  

Please point me to three separate occasions where I have attempted to start trouble because someone has disagreed with me.

I'll wait.

Hahahaha

Okay Alice.  If you say so.

At least you can't send me any more crazy PMs threatening to kick my ass.

Fun_NCmom06
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

You always start BS with me for sure and a few other in here because we disagree with you .You can't stand when someone disagrees with you so you have to personally attack them. I am just going to ignore your cazy mess. You always sound like a broken record. Have fun with your crazy self..

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

I know how to read. Basically you  are saying that you know I have a daughter and know me like you always assume you do. All you do in here is like to start trouble with people who disagree with you which is very immature.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Well my daughter dresses really nice and with class. She will not be wearing that crazy mess. We dress really nice and with class too.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Yes I do so get over it. If anything someone is wearing advertises, crime, drugs, alcohol, guns , etc they are going to question the teacher. They are not suppose to be advertising that kind of mess. Why would a child be wearing that anyways? Of course they are going to question his parenting and so on and they should.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

So I am wrong because you say I am LOL. I do not have to agree with you. You are the one who needs to grow up. You are one of those crazy people that thinks everyone has to agree with you. Well got news for you. I don't agree with have the BS you post on here so get over it.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

It doesn't matter. He still represents his school. He shouldn't allow his kids wearing inappropriate things that may be offensive. Obviously they though it was offensive.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

I can see where that could be offensive. A teacher shouldn't wear things like that in the first place at school. There are so many shootings, bullying, kids bringing guns to school  these days I can see why they would think that t-shirt is offensive.  A teacher should dress professionally at school. I don't think he should have gotten suspended but a warning to not wear that to school.

When you are wrong you cannot simply admit it and move on.  No learning for you.

You were wrong.  Your ignorance is nothing new.  Although I suppose I was hoping that you had been able to mature and learn a bit more before returning under yet another name.

So, in your world of wisdom, this Professor, which is a tad different than a teacher, should lose his position with the college he teaches at based on this t-shirt his daughter was wearing?

Oh my.

Hold on to your daughter tightly because the world is full of those you deem unworthy and should be fired and otherwise.

Lets hope no one judges your parenting with the expectation of consequences much along the same lines.  Good luck.

Of course you do.

Please point me to three separate occasions where I have attempted to start trouble because someone has disagreed with me.

I'll wait.

Hahahaha

Okay their you go again... Blah Blah Blah lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Fun_NCmom06:

Oh my.

Of course you do.

I'll wait.

Hahahaha

Okay their you go again... Blah Blah Blah lol

I can back up what I say.

You???

Didn't think so.

Have a nice night.  *wink*

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Stupid fucking people

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Really?! How idiotic can people be ?? (Well, obviously really idiotic considering one of the people in this post)

They were looking for a reason to get rid of him and they were reaching. How stupid. I hope he gets his job back
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)