Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Son Of FDNY Commissioner Who Left EMS Job Over Racist Tweets Trying To Get Rehired

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM
  • 99 Replies

Poll

Question: Should he get his job back?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Son Of FDNY Commissioner Who Left EMS Job Over Racist Tweets Trying To Get Rehired

Apr 17, 2014 By Hannington Dia

Joseph Cassano the son of FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano  is trying to get back his EMS job, according to the New York Daily News.

Joseph was forced to resign from the FDNY’s EMS department last year, after posting racist tweets. In one of them, he wrote:

“I like jews about as much as hitler #toofar? NOPE.”
On MLK Day 2013, he also wrote:

“MLK could go kick rocks for all I care, but thanks for the time and a half today.”

Cassano also commented on caring for President Obama supporters:
“Getting sick of picking up all these Obama lovers and taking them to the hospital because their medicare pays for an ambulance and not a cab.”

His father noted that he was “extremely disappointed in the comments posted online by my son” around the time of his resignation; however, Sal recently revealed his son is trying to get re-hired.
“He’s just going through the process just like any other candidate would,” Cassano told the News. “He’s just starting the process. He’s entitled to apply just like anyone else.”

A source revealed the younger Cassano has to start his application from scratch. He took the department’s physical and agility tests last month and is undergoing a background check. Apparently, he could find out as quickly as this summer if he’s been re-accepted in to the EMS academy.

Joseph’s initial departure came around increasing attention at the FDNY’s racial disparities. Recently, the city settled a racial discrimination lawsuit against the organization, paying out $98 million in back pay to 1,500 Black and Hispanic firefighters who took civil service exams in 1999 and 2002.
The city also acquiesced to demands to place measures increasing diversity in the department.

more tweets

“News flash to half of the island, ur white! Stop talking like ur a shwoog.”

1. www.urbandictionary.com/​define.php?term=shwoog   Cached
    nigger schwoog black boge bogie freeloader shwoogie shwoogs shwoogsgiving african african-american american caucasian jungle fever negro nigga schwoogie shug shwoog ...

http://hinterlandgazette.com/2013/03/joseph-cassano-son-nyc-fire-commissioner-sends-racist-tweets-blacks-jews.html

ETA

Fire commissioner's son Joseph Cassano quits EMS in wake of racist tweets firestorm

Cassano, 23, had tweeted racist statements regarding working with Jews and blacks in his role as an EMS technician. He had only been on the job three months.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Joseph Cassano in a twitter pic posted to his account - his father is FDNY Commissioner Salvatore @jcassano15 Joseph Cassano in a twitter pic posted to his account - his father is FDNY Commissioner Salvatore.

Y GINGER ADAMS OTIS

The fire commissioner’s son quit the Emergency Medical Service Monday after he was accused of accused of sending racist and offensive tweets.

Joseph Cassano, 23, son of FDNY head Salvatore Cassano, stepped down after less than three months on the job as an emergency medical technician.

His high-ranking father — who spent the morning at a funeral for a retired EMS worker — issued a stern but loving statement as his son’s dream of rising through the EMS ranks to become a firefighter went up in smoke.

“I am extremely disappointed in the comments posted online by my son Joseph, which do not reflect the values — including a respect for all people — that are held by me, my family and the FDNY,” said Commissioner Cassano, a Vietnam vet who joined the FDNY in the 1970s.

Cassano said he had “no tolerance” for divisive behavior in the FDNY — and his son was no exception.

@jcassano via Twitter

“As a parent, this is very painful for me, but I believe my son has made the right decision,” Cassano added. “I love him very much and, with the support and love of our entire family, we will get through this together."

His EMT son, who had tweeted that he hated working for the EMS and made offensive comments about Jews and African-Americans, turned off his Twitter account when the remarks went public and issued an apology for his comments via the FDNY press office.

But the damage control came too late to save his job.

At a news conference Monday morning, Mayor Bloomberg said, “I find the messages offensive. My understanding is he has chosen to resign from the Fire Department. That's the appropriate thing, and I'll leave it at that."

Some of Joseph Cassano’s most recent tweets were still visible online, including one he posted March 6 that said, “I really don't worry if I make alot of money in my life, as soon as I can buy my wife new tits ill be a happy man.”

Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano answers his phone before the press conference. Mariela Lombard for New York Daily News Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano answers his phone before the press conference.

That same day he wrote, “Got kicked in the shin by a drunk and had to carry a 275 pound guy down 5 flights of stairs...my job is the worst.”

The FDNY has a code of conduct governing social media use for employees, sources said.

The agency has fired Emergency Medical Service personnel in the past for tweeting or posting personal information about patients — a violation of federal medical privacy laws.

Cassano was a probationary hire with the FDNY, having graduated from his EMS class in December.

He’d only been on the job for about three months and was still in his tryout phase, sources said.

FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Joseph Jesse Ward for New York Daily Ne FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Joseph "Sal" Cassano's son was a probationary hire with the FDNY, having graduated from his EMS class in December.

Cassano was featured on the FDNY website in a story about his EMS class’s graduation on Dec. 21.

“This is a dream come true,” Cassano was quoted as saying in the FDNY story. “Since I was a kid, I’ve always wanted to work for the FDNY.”

The young EMT wasn’t going to just follow in his dad’s distinguished footsteps, his father said in the same article.

“He’s going to make his own,” the elder Cassano said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ire-commish-son-joseph-cassaono-quits-ems-wake-racist-tweets-firestorm-article-1.1291906#ixzz2zF1tj4vX
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Apr. 18, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Where are the racist tweets????  They are stupid tweets.  But far from racist 

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as he can do his job and keep his ridiculous opinions to himself, and as long as he passes a psych eval, I believe in second chances. However, I'm not sure who would trust him now. Ugh...I don't know.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
5 moms liked this
That's the thing, he could never be trusted to give the same level of care based on his racist/ethnic bigotry

The minute someone Jewish of black doesn't make it, and it appears they could have...the city is opening themselves up to a lawsuit

I wouldn't want him caring for my loved ones

Quoting Elkamelka:

As long as he can do his job and keep his ridiculous opinions to himself, and as long as he passes a psych eval, I believe in second chances. However, I'm not sure who would trust him now. Ugh...I don't know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Defending the racist
Nothing new

Quoting billsfan1104:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
billsfan1104
by Jules on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

He said something stupid.  Not Racist. But you will never know the difference. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins: Defending the racist Nothing new
Quoting billsfan1104:

billsfan1104
by Jules on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

And this is nothing new to you.  How sad of a world that you live in, that everything is racist and unhappy. 

Quoting billsfan1104:

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:32 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Quoting billsfan1104:

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Christ Almighty, people are stupid, and now we give them a megaphone called Twitter.

People need to realize their personal opinions are no longer private when they display their opinions publicly.

No he shouldn't get his job back. And with opinions like that, I doubt he'll get hired anywhere that pays a decent wage.
lga1965
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Yes they were racist. I think you need to go back to school if this is not obvious.....or have someone read it to you. Bashing Jews and MLK,a black man, are racist comments. Or were those comments just fine for you?
Talk about "hate"...your favorite word that you use ,accusing everyone of hating . Heh. This guy and his tweets are hateful.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Tell MLK to kick a can is racist?

What race are the Jews?

Quoting lga1965: Yes they were racist. I think you need to go back to school if this is not obvious.....or have someone read it to you. Bashing Jews and MLK,a black man, are racist comments. Or were those comments just fine for you? Talk about "hate"...your favorite word that you use ,accusing everyone of hating . Heh. This guy and his tweets are hateful.
Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)