Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have your views on same-sex marriage shifted over the years?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM
  • 119 Replies

Lawyer Who Fought Same-Sex Marriage Now Planning Lesbian Daughter's Wedding

by Jenny Erikson

Prop 8, Marriage EqualityWhen California's controversial Prop 8 went to the Supreme Court last year, attorney Charles Cooper defended the state's ban on same-sex marriage. Meanwhile in his personal life, he was learning that his own daughter identified as LGBT.

Now he's helping her plan her wedding to her lesbian partner this June. The couple plans to tie the knot in Massechusetts, one of 17 states (plus D.C.) where same-sex marriage is legally recognized. I guess you could say that things change.

Cooper told the AP: 

"My daughter Ashley's path in life has led her to happiness with a lovely young woman named Casey, and our family and Casey's family are looking forward to celebrating their marriage in just a few weeks." 

In an interview for journalist Jo Becker's book on the gay marriage debate, Forcing the Spring: Inside the Fight for Marriage Equality, Cooper said, "My views evolve on issues of this kind the same way as other people's do, and how I view this down the road may not be the way I view it now, or how I viewed it ten years ago."

More from The Stir: My Gut-Wrenching Divorce Changed How I Think About Same-Sex Marriage

He was hired by the organization ProtectMarriage.com when the inevitable legal battles began after Californians voted to ban gay marriage in the 2008 election. The case famously went to the Supreme Court, with plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier challenging the law.

While Cooper defended Prop 8 in court, the couple still found themselves inspired by his family's love and acceptance of their same-sex attracted daughter.

"We were so moved to hear of the Cooper family's constant love and support of their own daughter, even as the Perry case was in full swing and Mr. Cooper was spending his days planning Prop 8's defense," Perry and Stier said. "Some may find this contrast between public and private jarring, but in our opinion, loving an LGBT child unequivocally is the single most important thing any parent can do. We are overjoyed for Ashley and her fiancée, and we wish them the very best."

Ted Olson, one of the lawyers Cooper argued against at the Supreme Court, said that his evolution on gay marriage is part of "a broader cultural shift." He said, "Every day, people around the country are looking at the marriage issue afresh and challenging their long-held assumptions."

Like I said ... things change.

Have your views on same-sex marriage shifted over the years?

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaday
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Mine really hasn't. I've always been in favor of it.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope, always been for it.

Chaos1229
by Tasha on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM
No I've always supported gay marriage.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I have always been for marriage equality.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM
2 moms liked this

No, my support of equality has been solid from the time it really registered on my radar that GLBT struggled with discrimination both in the work place and by the government.

lga1965
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I wasn't very tolerant years ago but the older I get,the more accepting I am.about this . I have two gay relatives and they're wonderful people. They deserve happiness and acceptance and blessings from me and everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope.
I've always believed in equality.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

Lawyer Who Fought Same-Sex Marriage Now Planning Lesbian Daughter's Wedding

So his convictions are dictated by what affects him personally?

See that's the problem with many of those opposed to tehse types of issues...

anyway, not really, I was never against it

annieb863
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I've always supported it. I have a lesbian aunt and gay uncle, their relationships shouldn't be labeled as anything less than what I share with my dh. I was so happy when I for to attend my uncles wedding :)
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Nope I was always fine with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)