Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think free speech is important?

Posted by   + Show Post

Free Speech

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Replies (61-66):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep...free speech is important.  If I disagree with something I'm not going to boycott a company or try to get them fired from their job.  They have the same right to say and think  as they wish.  I ignore a lot of people and I am sure they ignore me as well. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice ramble, though...

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

We had this discussion in my Con-Law class.

Free speech is important and I would defend anyone's right to it, even though I may disagree with and detest what you are saying.

Freedom of speech comes with great responsibility. If you are going to open your mouth (or dip your quill), then you must be ready to accept the consequences that follow.

Someone disagreeing with you does not infringe on your right and this is something far too many fail to understand. 

Ah, I'm rambling. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Terry Pratchett calls them the 'shove' --the me-too-ers and the yeah-right-ers, who get swept up in the charisma of the movement or the leader and don't think at all about what they're supporting or opposing.

There is far too much of that.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for freedom of thought, which they seldom use." ~KierkegaardFreedom of speech is vital to the continued evolution of government and the protection of those living under it's control.  But freedom of thought is a whole lot more important, and it seems to me like a lot of people don't use that nearly as often as freedom of speech.  I'm not saying that people who speak out in opposition of my beliefs are stupid, I'm saying that there are a lot of people who express opinions without really thinking about them in depth because it is their right to do so.  Protecting their right to do so is essential, but man... I kinda wish there were fewer people like that in the world lol. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Absolutely. The right to free speech doesn't extend to any right not to be fired for being a moron.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I think people totally misunderstand what "the right to free speech"means. I know my DH does. He is on the side of "Society is becoming so PC and people can't say what they want without receiving backlash and they have a right to say what they want..blah blah blah". This stemmed from a local DJ who went on a homophobic twitter rant about a guy who was running for some homecoming title at a local university. Yes-you can state your opinion but when you hold certain positions, you should really be careful about what you say. Not everyone will agree and it could get you fired so the moral of story is-don't be a dumb ass. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a concept that seems to be lost by so many........

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

My favorite quote:
"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)