Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Virginia white supremacists sneak Easter eggs filled with racist notes into kids' celebration

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 59 Replies

Virginia white supremacists sneak Easter eggs filled with racist notes into kids' celebration

By David Edwards
[Two boys in the park, having fun with colored eggs for Easter via Shutterstock.com]

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Parents in one Virginia neighborhood were outraged on Sunday after their annual Easter egg hunt tradition was upset by white supremacists who had secretly hidden eggs with racist messages for the children to find.

West End parents Brandon and Jackie Smith told WRIC that they discovered the offensive eggs while having an Easter Egg hunt with their 3-year-old son on Sunday afternoon.

"My husband noticed the last Easter egg and I knew it wasn't one that we put out," Jackie Smith recalled. "We opened it and it's got the white supremacist stuff in it."

Other neighbors also found hate-filled eggs in their yard with messages that said "Diversity = White Genocide" and "Mass immigration and forced assimilation of non-whites into our lands is genocide."

The notes pointed to the websites WhiteManMarch.com and WhiteGenocideProject.com, a reference to a so-called "worldwide" protest in March that reportedly ended with a very small turnout.

"We don't want other kids around here who can read being like, ‘Hey mommy what's the million man white march or what's the genocide project?' Most of us don't want to explain genocide to our 6-year-olds," Jackie Smith explained.

Brandon Smith said it was "disturbing" to think that his child could find racist messages so close to home.

"It's something he may find and have questions about that not necessarily at his age," he remarked. "I want to explain to him. That there are people in this world who don't think everyone is equal."

Police in Henrico have launched an investigation to see if anyone associated with the websites is responsible for planting the eggs.

"You can hit the whole world with the Internet, stay out of my yard," Jackie Smith warned.

Watch the video below from WRIC, broadcast April 20, 2014.

video

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Where are the other neighbors that had found these supposed eggs??
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

*blink*

"supposed eggs"?  You think this couple is lying?  To what end? 

Quoting billsfan1104: Where are the other neighbors that had found these supposed eggs??

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I wonder if it was a group of WS or people just trying to stir up trouble.

That seems really common now.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

Quoting billsfan1104: Where are the other neighbors that had found these supposed eggs??

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Maybe.  But BF seems to question the event altogether. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Here are two more links with different people interviewed and the police speaking about several being found

Easter Eggs Containing Racist Messages Left In Oakdale Neighborhood

link

Get Breaking News First
OAKDALE, Calif. (CBS13) - An Oakdale neighborhood discovered Easter eggs set out that weren't filled with treats, but instead contained messages of hate.

From the outside, it looks like a regular plastic egg kids collect on Easter, but on the inside, they were "hateful messages, messages of discrimination and prejudice," said Charlene Barnett, who found the eggs. Barnett, who did not want her face on camera, says each egg contained a piece of paper with notes containing racially-charged messages. "Mine in particular said Asia for Asians, Africa for Africans, and white countries for everyone," said Barnett.

The mysterious eggs showed up Friday. Dozens were placed on doorsteps and in front lawns of homes in Oakdale's Vineyard subdivision. The back of each note had the name of a website that promotes pro-white activism, whitemanmarch.com.

"My nieces had their families put these together," said Barnett, referring to some other, more positive eggs.

The Barnetts say they're not focusing on the bad eggs. In fact, a basket of good eggs was delivered to their door Easter morning also containing paper notes.

"And they all say things like ‘I love you,'" said Barnett.

Barnett says she feels conflicted. She's a strong supporter of free speech, but if a person's message is hateful or white-supremacy propaganda, she says, "don't bring it to my house, please."

Oakdale police are investigating who left the eggs. They could be cited for littering and posting fliers without the city's permission.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20100315/police-probe-racist-easter-egg-message

Police probe racist Easter egg message

The Oakland Press/TIM THOMPSON Auburn Hills Police Lt. Jim Manning holds some plastic Easter eggs that contained racist messages and were left on the lawns of African-American residents.  

By CAROL HOPKINS

Auburn Hills police are asking for people to provide information on who might be responsible for putting racist and anti-gay flyers inside plastic Easter eggs and tossing the eggs onto residents' lawns.

Police responded to James Street on Sunday  to investigate a complaint of flyers containing inflammatory racial and sexual preference-related material.

The flyers were distributed in plastic Easter egg style containers. Police said a couple dozen eggs were found by officers on a number of yards on James, Edna Jane, Genes and Walnut roads -- all east of Dexter Road and north of East Walton.

"The flyers were folded up and stuffed into the eggs," Lt. James Manning said.

Based on the several locations where the flyers were found, it does not appear a single family or residence was specifically targeted, police said.

At this time no one has been identified as being responsible for distributing the flyers, but a Web site for the Aryan Nations -- a white nationalist neo-Nazi organization -- was listed on the flyers, Manning said.

The flyers were printed, not handwritten, Manning said. Some had the "N" word printed on them, he added.

"It's somebody who has issues," Manning noted.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Auburn Hills Police Department at 248-370-9448.

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I don't blame her.

Numerous servers who had ugly messages instead of tips turn out to be false.

A mom saying her son can't attend a birthday party because the parents are gay men turns out to be false.

A woman says she was attacked by Obama supporters in 2008 turns out to be false.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

People who lack in character, moral fiber and otherwise will do anything they can to attempt to get to others, making the attempt to reach the children first.

They rec'd publicity by  the parents going to the media.  I can understand making people aware but they got what they wanted.

For some of the kids who may have found these and are able to read, this could be a good jumping off point to a learning experience.

There will always be people whose mindset is warped.  Sadly they sit back and watch their ways upset others.

Truly sick individuals.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Actually it's not common.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Those 3 idiots vs. 12,000 hate crimes last year

hmm, which is more common?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I don't blame her.

A mom saying her son can't attend a birthday party because the parents are gay men turns out to be false.

A woman says she was attacked by Obama supporters in 2008 turns out to be false.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I can post many more.   But you don't care.

Have a good day.  

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Those 3 idiots vs. 12,000 hate crimes last year

hmm, which is more common?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I don't blame her.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

*blink*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN