Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Main Line drug ring run like a business by two grads of prestigious prep school

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 33 Replies

Drug ring operating in Main Line high schools smashed

By Richard Ilgenfritz, rilgenfritz@mainlinemedianews.com

Some of the items seized in a search of suspects' apartments.  

Prosecutors say two former Main Line students at the Haverford School set up an elaborate drug ring in an attempt to take over the Main Line drug trade at several area schools and colleges. The schools included some of the most privileged public and private schools in the region.

Authorities announced Monday the arrests of Neil K. Scott, 25, of Barrett Avenue in Haverford and Timothy Brooks, 18, of Cedar Lane in Villanova were identified as the main suppliers.

Daniel McGrath, 18, of Glenolden; John Rosemann, 20, of Weston, Conn.; Christian Euler, 23, of Villanova; Garrett Johnson, 18, of New York; Reid Cohen, 18, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey; Willow Lynn Ore, 22, of Philadelphia; Domenic Curcio, 29 of Philadelphia and the two juveniles have been identified as the sub-dealers.

The ring was dubbed the "Main Line Take Over Project," because, authorities say, the group was trying to take over the drug trade at several area schools.

Schools including Lower Merion High School, The Haverford School, Harriton High School, Conestoga High School, Radnor Township High School, Gettysburg College, Lafayette College and Haverford College have all been identified as the target schools.

So far eight adults have been taken into custody while another adult is being sought for arrest. Two juveniles, one a student at Lower Merion and the other a student at Radnor, have also been charged.

Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Ferman announced the arrests on Monday, saying Scott and Brooks, both graduates of the prestigious Haverford School, worked together to "create a [drug] monopoly to high school students in the area." Both men played lacrosse at the swanky Montgomery County private school and coached youth sports leagues, according to Ferman. The D.A. said Brooks and Scott exploited those relationships to help grow the criminal enterprise.

A 100-page criminal complaint portrayed the two men as running their alleged drug enterprise like a business, with Scott alegedly coaching Brooks, who would then instruct the "sub-dealers" at the high schools.

"The high school sub-dealers were encouraged to develop their business so that they could sell at least one pound of marijuana each week," Ferman said. "Brooks instructed the dealers to make sure that there was never a drought."

Among the material found in a search of the two men's apartments were eight pounds of marijuana, three grams of hash oil, 23 grams of cocaine, 11 grams of Ecstasy, $11,000 in cash, a loaded handgun, an AR-15 assault rifle and another AR-15 style rile.

John Nagl, headmaster for The Haverford School, said school officials were notified about an on-going investigation several weeks ago, but were asked not to interfere.

"We focus on developing boys with good character, despite our best efforts, sometimes boys make bad choices," he said. "This was destructive and horrible. And we are deeply saddened."

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Drugs and those who engage in such business are not only in the poor neighborhoods.  Those in the affluent neighborhoods, schools and such only sell to the poor.  

lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM
This is disturbing, to say the least. Drugs and assault rifles. What a scary combination. Good that they were discovered. If they could find more of this kind of criminal activity, it would help some. But, there are too many greedy people preying on needy people and they're either really clever and undetected or ignored.
Sick
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM

One of the biggest parental providers in my kids' schools was the same person- a very respected, and renowned surgeon.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:26 PM

We just had a big bust a few years ago of a big time doctor in a wealthy neighborhood that was busted being a pill factory. They actually busted  him n a CVS parking lot after an undercover operation

it's CRAZY

Quoting Sisteract:

One of the biggest parental providers in my kids' schools was the same person- a very respected, and renowned surgeon.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

not surprised.

When we were looking at high schools, I happened to talk with a probation officer. I was really contemplating paying the private school tuition- but seems unrealistic for 4 kids at the same time. It would be like buying a small house.

Anyway- the probation officer's input was it was not worth the price at all- she had a higher rate of drug problems and kids on probation at the elite private school than either of the public schools. We really looked closely at it, and didn't feel academics were any better- and honeslty the drinking and drug problems were far worse... we've also found though because money just flows there, it's covered up pretty well by parents...and yes- parents know. Many even support it.

lga1965
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh now THAT is really horrible.

Quoting Ziva65:

not surprised.

When we were looking at high schools, I happened to talk with a probation officer. I was really contemplating paying the private school tuition- but seems unrealistic for 4 kids at the same time. It would be like buying a small house.

Anyway- the probation officer's input was it was not worth the price at all- she had a higher rate of drug problems and kids on probation at the elite private school than either of the public schools. We really looked closely at it, and didn't feel academics were any better- and honeslty the drinking and drug problems were far worse... we've also found though because money just flows there, it's covered up pretty well by parents...and yes- parents know. Many even support it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why someone would risk that. An acquaintance stocks his liquor cabinet and LETS his kids have parties there. They are all underage, and they drive. He knows it, and allows it. I really don't understand that thought process. I would think he'd teach his kids better,  try to keep kids safe in general, not to mention the personal risk of his license and everything he owns. IDK, all about image and money I guess, I really don't get it.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

We just had a big bust a few years ago of a big time doctor in a wealthy neighborhood that was busted being a pill factory. They actually busted  him n a CVS parking lot after an undercover operation

it's CRAZY

Quoting Sisteract:

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:05 PM

This is more the norm than people may realize. It fast money, the drug world is high stake and the assault rifles are just par for the course all too often. Those are low powered and easy to handle for many. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they are selling to their peers.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Drugs and those who engage in such business are not only in the poor neighborhoods.  Those in the affluent neighborhoods, schools and such only sell to the poor.  

tanyainmizzou
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM
We called a friend's house in high school The Pharmacy because her dad was a fairly well known surgeon in Houston and there was a closet loaded with pill samples vendors kept sending him.

Vicodin was quite awesome at 16.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)