Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

US: Accused Killer Jeffrey Chapman Wants 'Murder' Neck Tattoo Removed Before Trial

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 37 Replies

US: Accused Killer Jeffrey Chapman Wants 'Murder' Neck Tattoo Removed Before Trial

murder tattoo
Jeffrey Chapman is worried his 'murder' neck tattoo is go against him during the trialBarton County Sheriff Department

A murder suspect who has the word "murder" tattooed on his neck is hoping to have the tattoo removed as he fears it will prejudice him in front of a jury.

Jeffrey Chapman is accused of murdering Damon Gailart in 2011 in Kansas and is worried that the tattoo would have a negative impact at the trial.

Prosecutors said they were not opposed to Chapman removing or covering his tattoo, but Barton County police department said they would not transport the suspect to a tattoo parlour for the removal process.

Under Kansas law, tattoo artists are only allowed to practise in licensed facilities, which also rules out a professional coming to visit Chapman in jail where he is currently held in custody.

"Mr. Chapman's tattoos are not relevant to any material facts and Mr Chapman asks for the court to exclude any mention of his tattoos at trial and further to be allowed to cover them up in an appropriate manner," court documents said. "The fact that he has 'murder' tattooed across his neck is irrelevant to the State's case and extremely prejudicial to Mr Chapman if introduced at trial or observed by the jury."

State prosecutors said Chapman could simply cover the tattoo with "clothing, a bandage or other means compliant with jail policy".

Gailart's body was found by a roadside ditch in November 2011.

Do you think the tattoo is important to show character or do you think it should be removed as it will unfairly bias the jury?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM
7 moms liked this

I disagree with them allowing him special privileges to remove the tattoo, but he should be allowed to cover it up with makeup or clothing.  Or one of those Duck Dynasty beards.  

I imagine his character will become clear over the course of the trial, with or without the tattoo.  

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM
14 moms liked this
Perhaps he should have thought of the ramifications of having murder tattooed on his neck prior to getting it in the first place. Are there any times that could be taken in a positive light?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

No, he needs to just deal with it.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

He could have someone bring him tattoo makeup cover up. I do not think he should be allowed to go to a tattoo parlor.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting coolmommy2x: Perhaps he should have thought of the ramifications of having murder tattooed on his neck prior to getting it in the first place. Are there any times that could be taken in a positive light?

Ya know... .

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I wonder which came first, the tat or the deed.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM
5 moms liked this
Screw him. Should have considered a MURDER neck tattoo might have some negative consequences beforehand.
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM
4 moms liked this

The only concession that should be made?  A turtleneck.

lga1965
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM

He is one evil looking guy. He would be , even if he didn't have a tattoo on his neck that describes him to a tee. Ewwww. I don't care what happens to him and his tattoo. Oh, yeah, I do hope that he goes to jail for a long,long time,of course.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.'

-Dr. Seuss
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't give a rat's ass about his tattoo.

It's all about choices and consequences. Payback's a bitch.

But to answer your question: if he wants the MURDER tattoo removed, then he best figure out a way to get that done-not on taxpayer's dime; will his tattoo unfairly bias the jury? [[[[shrugs]]]] that is anybody's guess. I don;t think it will bias the jury anymore than the evidence presented by the prosecutor with their crime scene photos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)