Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you heard of "swatting?" What penalty do you think the prankster should have to face?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM
  • 54 Replies

Cops Swarm Teen's Home After 'Call of Duty' Loser Tells Cops He Killed Family

by Lisa Fogarty

More than 60 emergency responders, including a SWAT team, swarmed a house in New York after police received a call from someone claiming to be a 17-year-old boy who had just killed his mother and brother. The caller contacted police over Skype yesterday afternoon to say he was Rafael Castillo and that he had not only murdered his family members, but was prepared to shoot even more people. The caller even provided police with his address.

But when cops responded, they discovered everything was just peachy keen. Rafael's mom was alive and well -- making coffee in the kitchen -- while his brother had just returned home from lunch. And where was Rafael? Doing the one thing that gave police some idea of who may have been behind the vicious prank call that cost its department $100,000 -- he was playing video games. 

Cops believe the caller was someone who had played and lost against Rafael in the popular Call of Duty video game. As an act of revenge, which is referred to as "swatting" -- if you can wrap your mind around the fact that this is a "thing" that has been done before -- the defeated player called police to report the teen had committed murder. The point of this "game" is to put cops on high alert and, I'm guessing, embarrass the winning player.

Here's another crazy part of this super-absurd story: police reportedly spent about 2 hours surrounding the teen's home and trying to get him out onto the street. They called his cell and he didn't answer it because he had headphones on and was too engaged in his game. Even his poor mother, who had no idea what was going on outside of her home, thinks her son plays too many video games and should get a job.

As for the prankster, cops are still trying to trace his online call so they can make an arrest. Given how much money this incident cost taxpayers, it might be a good idea to make the gamer work and help pay back a portion of the $100K. And I can't say I would be too sad if he were stripped of his video game console, either.

Have you heard of "swatting?" What penalty do you think the prankster should have to face?

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trish2tew
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Heard of it. The prankster should get jail time and not probation.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this

Really?  The gamer wins a game.  A sore loser calls in a prank.  Explain to me how the gamer is responsible?    

"a good idea to make the gamer work and help pay back a portion of the $100K."

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM
The gamer isn't responsible the dickhead who lost is.
meriana
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

What a horrible thing to do. Absolutly the one who made the call to police should face some punishment. I'm just not sure how much or what would be appropriate, maybe make the penality stiffer depending on the person's age? Unfortunatley, those who would play such a "prank" aren't going to be deterred unless there IS some very serious penalities involved for doing so.

ablackdolphin
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM
So wrong
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM
5 moms liked this
They should make him pay restitution and spend a lot of time doing community service, etc. He needa to understand that he lives in a community which has to pay for his "prank" in real dollars and time. I'm sure he didn't think of it that way and he needs to learn that it is serious.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
If they can identify the prankster, he should have a fine plus community service. Big fine, lots of community service.

I has not heard of this. What a stupid thing, wasteful thing to do.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

The police should swarm the jerk's house at gunpoint and make him poop himself before hauling him out in public and pressing charges and holding him responsible for the entire bill.

dommad2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that the loser is the gamer the article is referring to.

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Really?  The gamer wins a game.  A sore loser calls in a prank.  Explain to me how the gamer is responsible?    

"a good idea to make the gamer work and help pay back a portion of the $100K."

dommad2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM
They're both gamers. I think it's the loser they are referring to.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: The gamer isn't responsible the dickhead who lost is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)