Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bible innapropriate reading at school?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM
  • 166 Replies

Found this on facebook this morning.  I am christian, so obviously think this is not ok, but am also open minded enough that if a kid was reading the koran (sp?) or whatever the budhist bible is or anything else like that it would be ok as well. I hope that made sense I have only had 1 cup of coffee yet... lol

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/23/texas-second-grader-says-teacher-took-away-her-bible-during-reading-time/

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaye
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Another thing about this that bothered me was she "allegedly" was told not to bring it back to school as well.

lhiannan
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not a Christian, though I was raised catholic. I think the school is being cautious because of the separation of church and state. Honestly, I think that the bible had passages in it that are probably not appropriate for young children, though.

Quoting shaye:

Another thing about this that bothered me was she "allegedly" was told not to bring it back to school as well.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM
9 moms liked this

As long as the kid's not reading it out loud, I couldn't care less if he's reading from the Necronomicon. Or Lolita.

I am opposed to censorship in reading.

mjmorrison
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM
7 moms liked this

there is no such thing as separation of church and state. there is however the freedom of religion. as long as the school is not teaching or forcing them to read religious material it is not their business to stop students from doing so.

Quoting lhiannan: I am not a Christian, though I was raised catholic. I think the school is being cautious because of the separation of church and state. Honestly, I think that the bible had passages in it that are probably not appropriate for young children, though.
Quoting shaye:

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
If this was free reading time there is nothing wrong with reading the Bible in school unless the teacher directed the kids to pick from selected books.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It was a read to myself lesson?

Teacher was wrong.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM
7 moms liked this
The SCOTUS disagrees with you, thankfully, regarding your first sentence. Regarding your second sentence, as long as the child is reading the Bible on his own time then it is perfectly fine.

Quoting mjmorrison:

there is no such thing as separation of church and state. there is however the freedom of religion. as long as the school is not teaching or forcing them to read religious material it is not their business to stop students from doing so.

Quoting lhiannan: I am not a Christian, though I was raised catholic. I think the school is being cautious because of the separation of church and state. Honestly, I think that the bible had passages in it that are probably not appropriate for young children, though.

Quoting shaye:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM
3 moms liked this

The teacher was in the wrong.  The Supreme Court has upheld, I believe, that Bibles are allowed to be in public schools.  This was not read out loud nor did it disrupt academics, so frankly I'd be raising hell if I were the parents!!

mjmorrison
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

nowhere in the us constitution is there a seperation of church and state.

Quoting romalove: The SCOTUS disagrees with you, thankfully, regarding your first sentence. Regarding your second sentence, as long as the child is reading the Bible on his own time then it is perfectly fine.
Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting shaye:

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM
4 moms liked this
SCOTUS has found it in First Amendment. There is also nothing specific about privacy rights but SCOTUS has found those as well.

Quoting mjmorrison:

nowhere in the us constitution is there a seperation of church and state.

Quoting romalove: The SCOTUS disagrees with you, thankfully, regarding your first sentence. Regarding your second sentence, as long as the child is reading the Bible on his own time then it is perfectly fine.

Quoting mjmorrison:

Quoting shaye:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN