Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Age to buy tobacco in Wash. state could go up to 21~ Do you approve?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think the the age for buying tobacco should be 21?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

Posted: 12:50 p.m. Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Age to buy tobacco in Wash. state could go up to 21

•  0 113 14 127

Cigarettes
FILE - This Oct. 21, 2009 file photo shows Camel cigarettes. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

SEATTLE — 

The King County Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Board is asking the Legislature to raise the minimum age to buy tobacco in Washington from 18 to 21.

Board President Pat Godfrey tells KIRO-FM you have to be 21 to buy alcohol and marijuana, so a substance as harmful as tobacco should have the same age restriction.

Godfrey says raising the age to 21 would help reduce the number of teens who try smoking and become addicted.

The move comes as the nation's tobacco companies and the Justice Department are discussing court-ordered advertisements that say the cigarette makers lied about the dangers of smoking.

The advertisements are part of a case the government brought in 1999 under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations. U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler ruled in 2006 that the nation's largest cigarette makers concealed the dangers of smoking for decades and ordered them to pay for corrective statements in various advertisements in newspapers, as well as on TV, websites and cigarette pack inserts.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 18 percent of U.S. adults smoked in 2012.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Age limits are not good for deterring use.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Do you think there should be any age restrictions at all then?

Quoting stormcris:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Voted

stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Yes, to prevent errand running.

Quoting paganbaby:

Do you think there should be any age restrictions at all then?

Quoting stormcris:

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't agree with this because I take issue with the idea that for certain things you are an adult but not for others. Criminal activity can be heard in adult court as young as age 12 in some states, but no one can legally drink until 21. It is the same thing with smoking, voting, driving, owning property and various other things. And then there is federal financial aid. For that you are not considered an adult until age 23 unless certain exceptions apply.  Arbitrary age limits are ridiculous. You are either an adult or not. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Grassy ass

Quoting Euphoric:

Voted

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I don't really see what it's going to prove honestly.
Teens that smoke will just continue to smoke until they are of 'legal' age to do it.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM

voted.. :D

mrsmoonbeam
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this
And the fact you have people in the military whp are old enough to fight and die for their country by god but cant legaly drink a beer

Quoting sheramom4:

I don't agree with this because I take issue with the idea that for certain things you are an adult but not for others. Criminal activity can be heard in adult court as young as age 12 in some states, but no one can legally drink until 21. It is the same thing with smoking, voting, driving, owning property and various other things. And then there is federal financial aid. For that you are not considered an adult until age 23 unless certain exceptions apply.  Arbitrary age limits are ridiculous. You are either an adult or not. 

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't even respond to the poll because I fucking LOATH cigarettes with every cell in my body. I'm totally judgemental of smokers and I give people the stink eye every time I have to walk through their nasty, cancerous stench. I think they should be outlawed. 

"Hang on, let me send a PM to Jesus so he can join this name calling ignorance ...he's into that these days ...at least according to his peeps."
- sak

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN