Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Jim Crow in the Classroom: New Report Finds Segregation Lives on in U.S. Schools

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 45 Replies

As the U.S. Supreme Court upholds a ban on affirmative action in Michigan and the country marks 60 years since the landmark decision of Brown v. Board of Education, we look at how segregation is still pervasive in U.S. public schools. An explosive new report in ProPublica finds school integration never fully occurred, and in recent decades may have even been reversed. Focusing on three generations of the same family in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the story concludes: "While segregation as it is practiced today may be different than it was 60 years ago, it is no less pernicious: in Tuscaloosa and elsewhere, it involves the removal and isolation of poor black and Latino students, in particular, from everyone else. In Tuscaloosa today, nearly one in three black students attends a school that looks as if Brown v. Board of Education never happened." We are joined by Nikole Hannah-Jones, whose article, "The Resegregation of America’s Schools," is the latest in the ProPublica series "Segregation Now: Investigating America’s Racial Divide."

Transcript

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: The Supreme Court has upheld Michigan’s ban on affirmative action at state colleges and universities. The case centers on a 2006 voter referendum in Michigan that barred race- and sex-based preferences in admissions. An appeals court previously ruled the ban violates the Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause. But in a six-to-two decision, the Supreme Court overruled the lower court. The justices in the majority argued policies affecting minorities that do not involve intentional discrimination should be decided at the ballot box rather than in the courtroom. In her dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor argued, quote, "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race ... is to speak openly and candidly on the subject of race, and to apply the Constitution with eyes open to the unfortunate effects of centuries of racial discrimination."

Tuesday’s ruling will likely bolster similar anti-affirmative action measures in several other states, and it comes as this spring marks 60 years since the landmark Supreme Court ruling of Brown v. Board of Education, which was intended to end segregation in America’s public schools. But an explosive new report finds school integration never fully occurred and, in recent decades, may have even been reversed. "The Resegregation of America’s Schools" is the latest in an ongoing series by ProPublica called "Segregation Now: Investigating America’s Racial Divide," and it focuses on three generations in the same family in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

AMY GOODMAN: The report concludes that, quote, "while segregation as it is practiced today may be different than it was 60 years ago, it is no less pernicious: in Tuscaloosa and elsewhere, it involves the removal and isolation of poor black and Latino students, in particular, from everyone else. In Tuscaloosa today, nearly one in three black students attends a school that looks as if Brown v. Board of Education never happened."

Well, for more, we’re joined by the author of "Segregation Now," the whole series, Nikole Hannah-Jones. She covers civil rights for ProPublica, with a focus on segregation and discrimination in housing and schools.

They are the losers, those who make the religion hard and tough. They imperil themselves who enforce tough practices of Islam. They destroy themselves, those who are extremes.

——— Prophet Muhammad (s) as reported by Ibn Masud in Sahih Muslim.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM

bump

AllieKat
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Smh. Not true.
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:41 PM
6 moms liked this

Tell me something I don't know. And it's not just schools either it's entire neighborhoods.

supermonstermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Quote:

while segregation as it is practiced today may be different than it was 60 years ago, it is no less pernicious: in Tuscaloosa and elsewhere, it involves the removal and isolation of poor black and Latino students, in particular, from everyone else.

Where you go to school is based on where you live.   That isn't exactly removal or isolation.  

*edited to add*

I don't know what the solution would be..  Encouraging people to move into poorer, older neighborhoods to fix up houses and live, seems to get criticism.  Years ago they had busing, and people complained their children did not go to schools in the neighborhood, so they could not be involved.  

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I love Amy Goodman, I am pained to see the backward progression that Southern states are taking over the last couple of years. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting snookyfritz:

I love Amy Goodman, I am pained to see the backward progression that Southern states are taking over the last couple of years. 

It keeps getting worse down here.

They are the losers, those who make the religion hard and tough. They imperil themselves who enforce tough practices of Islam. They destroy themselves, those who are extremes.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Do you not believe it is happening or are you just being facetious?

Quoting AllieKat: Smh. Not true.

AllieKat
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I went to school down there and my 16 year old brother still does. Having been in an integrated class, I don't believe it.

Quoting muslimahpj:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM

I went to high school in Alabama, and I still live here. I see it and believe it. Towns and cities are segregated. You dont find very many diverse neighborhoods, if any. One section of town is where the AA's live and it's not a great area, and the other side of town is where the white folk live. Believe me, there is a BIG difference in those two sides of town.

Although, I have seen some improvement in the last 20 years, it is slow to come and hasnt come that far.

Just because the classes are intergrated doesnt mean there isnt segregation going on .

Quoting AllieKat: I went to school down there and my 16 year old brother still does. Having been in an integrated class, I don't believe it.
Quoting muslimahpj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)