Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Atheists Strong Arm Wrestling Team over Bible Verse

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 143 Replies

Hulk Hogan once said, “I fear no man, no beast or evil, brother.”

And the wrestlers at South High School in Parkersburg, W.Va. fear no atheist.

Click here to join Todd on Facebook – for conservative news! 

The teenage grapplers are staring down the Freedom From Religion Foundation, a Wisconsin-based atheist group outraged because the team wears t-shirts bearing a Bible verse.

“I can do all things through Him that strengthens me.” That’s the verse emblazoned across the back of the shirt. The motto was also posted on the team’s website. Until now.

“We asked them to take it down,” said Pat Law, the superintendent of the Wood County school district. “We have to follow the law – whatever that law might be. We’re going to be certain that everyone’s rights are being protected.

Law told me the team had been using the motto for at least 10 years without any complaint – until he received the letter from the FFRF. He said the group alleges the shirts violate the separation of church and state.

However, Bill Merriman, an attorney representing one of the wrestlers and his parents, told me the shirts are perfectly legal.

“It’s not part of the official uniform,” Merriman said. “If a student athlete doesn’t want to wear that shirt, they don’t have to. It’s not a requirement. It’s not part of the official uniform.”

Merriman said the shirts were paid for by parents of the wrestlers – and now those moms and dads are ready to piledrive somebody.

“They don’t understand how somebody can come along after all these years and say you can’t wear that,” he said. “It’s frustrating for the parents because they see a lot of other t-shirts being worn by students that are certainly not religious – but they are offensive. Nobody is saying they can’t wear those shirts.”

That’s a pretty good point.

For now, Supt. Law told me the kids can wear the shirts – provided they belong to the students.

“We do not and cannot infringe upon their freedom of religion – their ability to express that,” he said. However, the Bible verse has already been scrubbed from the wrestling team’s website.

Merriman said he is ready to file a lawsuit if the school district ultimately decides the shirts violate the law.

“The First Amendment swings both ways,” he told.

Indeed, it does. But try telling that to a militant atheist.

It’s really no surprise the boys had a Bible verses printed on their t-shirts. As we all learned in Sunday School, the relationship between God and grapplers predates Saturday morning wrestling.

There’s a great wrestling story in the Old Testament. Jacob went toe to toe with an angel. It was an honest-to-goodness no-holds-barred, steel cage match.

Now, I’m no theologian, but I suspect if old Jacob got in the squared circle with an angel – he’d be more than willing to tangle with an atheist.

source

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
6 moms liked this
I guess no atheist had better try out for that wrestling team.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM
15 moms liked this

I'm not an atheist and even I have a problem with that. Bible verses just don't belong in public schools where everyone isn't Christian. It's not a hard concept to understand. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm not an atheist and even I have a problem with that. Bible verses just don't belong in public schools where everyone isn't Christian. It's not a hard concept to understand. 

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Nothing wrong with it, espeially if they paid for it themselves.   What other shirts would you ban?

Quoting mehamil1:

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this

Someone wrote a letter to the FFRF to complain about the Bible verses.  Perhaps it was one of the wrestlers, we don't know.

If you aren't with us, you are against us.  Better pray if you want to play!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM
4 moms liked this

If I were the benevolent dictator, there would be no shirts with prints on them. I hate prints. They drive me nuts. 

Also, I'd ban the term "wife beater" for a white tank top. 

If I had my way, all shirts would be stretchy. My boobs are huge and finding shirts that fit these melons very difficult. 

My coworker took this on Sunday and this shirt is stretchy but not nearly enough hence the major cleavage action going on. 

Quoting candlegal:

Nothing wrong with it, espeially if they paid for it themselves.   What other shirts would you ban?

Quoting mehamil1:

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM
12 moms liked this

The Bible verse was painted above the gym doors and was found on the school's website.  That's illegal, Candle.  

If the parents paid for the t-shirts, then the kids should be allowed to wear them.  But it's still wrong in that it pressures a non-Christian to conform to be one of the team.  

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting mehamil1:

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it means you hate the baby Jesus! How could you! 

Quoting PurdueMom:

The Bible verse was painted above the gym doors and was found on the school's website.  That's illegal, Candle.  

If the parents paid for the t-shirts, then the kids should be allowed to wear them.  But it's still wrong in that it pressures a non-Christian to conform to be one of the team.  

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting mehamil1:

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM
8 moms liked this

Just because it's been done all these years without a complaint doesn't mean the law was being followed. It's just that no one had enough courage to speak up because of fear of retribution.

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this
They don't care. Apparently only Christians are welcome.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN