Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

An Ohio Newspaper Just Accidentally Ended the Legalize Marijuana Debate

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM
  • 93 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is kind of awkward. While attempting to summarize the marijuana prohibition debate following full-scale legalization in Colorado and Washington, Ohio's Dayton City Paper accidentally proved how it's almost absurd to even call this a "debate." One DCP staffer was supposed to argue for and one against legal marijuana.

The only problem? They couldn't find anyone who disagreed. 

The DCP editor's note reads: "On behalf of the Dayton City Paper staff, we apologize, but we were unable to locate a debate writer who was able to submit a view opposed to the legalization of marijuana in Ohio at this time."

An expanded version of the debate online features a centrist viewpoint, but no arguments against any kind of reform whatsoever.

Changing times: It's tough to imagine this scenario playing out just a decade ago, when the vast majority of Americans opposed marijuana legalization. Now they approve of it by a 52% majority.

A Gallup poll conducted in March found that 58% of Americans now support the legalization of marijuana.

And a 2012 Gallup poll found that no one wants federal intervention in the states where marijuana use has been legalized, either.

Almost 7 in 10 Americans now recognize that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol, another widely available substance. And Pew found that for the most part, states are responding to the change in public opinion by diminishing penalties for marijuana or doing away with criminal charges altogether:

Changing public attitudes have granted reformers the opportunity to demonstrate that the slowly ending war on weed hasn't been accompanied by skyrocketing crime rates or slack-jawed teens setting fire to city hall. As PolicyMic has previously notedthree months after legalizing marijuana, the sky hasn't fallen in Denver, where the wild-eyed claims of anti-legalization activists have fallen pretty much flat. The only thing that's really changed since Colorado decided to move towards full-on legalization is millions of dollars in new tax revenue and declining marijuana arrest rates.

As more time passes, expect attitudes on marijuana to become increasingly progressive and for fewer opponents to dominate the discussion on drug policy in America. That'll be the day. 

LINK

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM

That's awesome!!

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:12 AM

ashleymarie0828
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The stats on views of legalizing marijuana are because you have young voters who don't give a shit about anything else except their next high. W're only encouraging them to continue to be little shits. I look at it as I wouldn't want my kids doing that. The mentality of most (note that I said most, not all) who use it isn't a productive one. 

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM
6 moms liked this
Not true at all. I'm for legalization and I don't use at all, nor would I if it became legal.

Quoting ashleymarie0828:

The stats on views of legalizing marijuana are because you have young voters who don't give a shit about anything else except their next high. W're only encouraging them to continue to be little shits. I look at it as I wouldn't want my kids doing that. The mentality of most (note that I said most, not all) who use it isn't a productive one. 

Mommabearbergh
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM
That is a very wild assumption. I voted for medical marijuana in mass because I have seen the good it has done for people. There are older voters who see the good in it and if it can be regulated and taxed what's the issue. Ciggerettes and alcohol are legal.

Quoting ashleymarie0828:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Excellent!!!

ashleymarie0828
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM

That's great but if you don't think that the polls are pushed because it's the one thing 18 year olds will get off of the couch to vote for, you're lying to yourself. You could clearly see from the news cameras in Colorado that the entire crowd was a bunch of stoner kids. It's pathetic that it's a single issue that people fight vehemently over when it doesn't actually produce a more productive or effective society.  

Also, before anyone brings it up, medical purposes are a whole different ball game. I'm talking about recreational use.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Not true at all. I'm for legalization and I don't use at all, nor would I if it became legal.
Quoting ashleymarie0828:

ashleymarie0828
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM

How is it wild? I think it's wild that people think you're being prejudice for pointing out a stereotype that the participating people generally live up to. Once again, this isn't to say all but most. Also, cigarettes don't give you the same type of high that marijuana gives you.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: That is a very wild assumption. I voted for medical marijuana in mass because I have seen the good it has done for people. There are older voters who see the good in it and if it can be regulated and taxed what's the issue. Ciggerettes and alcohol are legal.
Quoting ashleymarie0828:

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Quoting ashleymarie0828:

No.  The stats on legalization are changing as the truth about marijuana becomes known. 

I wrote a cited paper on legalization when I was in college and had to present 6 sources for, 6 sources against all from periodical scientific digests.  I had a terrible time finding against. and that was 15 yrs ago.  The scientific community had little to offer against legalization because the plant is safe.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I think 18 yr olds make up a small percentage of active voters.

from Forbes:

• 21.4% — the share of electorate made up by Americans 18 to 29 years old. (CIRCLE, August 2009)
  • 17.1% — the share of votes casts by Americans 18 to 29 years old in the 2008 election. (CIRCLE, August 2009)
Quoting ashleymarie0828:

That's great but if you don't think that the polls are pushed because it's the one thing 18 year olds will get off of the couch to vote for, you're lying to yourself. You could clearly see from the news cameras in Colorado that the entire crowd was a bunch of stoner kids. It's pathetic that it's a single issue that people fight vehemently over when it doesn't actually produce a more productive or effective society.  

Also, before anyone brings it up, medical purposes are a whole different ball game. I'm talking about recreational use.

Quoting quickbooksworm: Not true at all. I'm for legalization and I don't use at all, nor would I if it became legal.
Quoting ashleymarie0828:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)