Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you let your kids have soda? Would you be angry if the school gave it to them?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 77 Replies

School Caught Loading Kids Up on Mountain Dew

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

moutain dewAn elementary school in Melbourne, Florida, recently doled out small amounts of -- wait for it -- Mountain Dew to students, along with some trail mix, to perk them up for the high-stakes standardized tests they were taking each day. This apparently has been a 10-year-long practice of Creel Elementary (I know), but it's since been stopped, thanks to a grandmother who contacted the local media about the practice.

Time to talk about soda, Moms! Yet another divisive parenting topic that has us on either the "cool with it" side or the shield-it-from-your-child-as-if-it-were-whopping-cough-in-a-2-liter-bottle side. I, personally, consider myself a member of the latter group. With the exception of a random occasion here and there, I have zero intentions of allowing my daughter to drink it. And if she were given, ugh, Mountain Dew by her elementary school to "get her excited for a test," you best believe I'd be annoyed. Allowing kids to have soda is a parenting decision, not a school one.

Whether you think parents have become overly sensitive coddlers, who don't want their kids coming within a 20-foot radius of anything but outlandishly expensive organic produce, fact is, soda is bad for kids. In addition to it being a big contributor to the obesity epidemic, it's been linked to behavioral problems and tooth decay. (Are schools going to foot kids' dental bills for parents?) Caffeine can also increase kids' blood pressure, cause sleeplessness, and aggravate already existing anxiety disorders. Bottom line: It's bad news and ought to be a decision mom or dad makes as opposed to the school principal. (Remember, the soda wasn't just available, it was given out to kids.)

Again, when my daughter is older, I have no intentions of locking her in an ivory tower in an effort to shun her from any and all sugary, high-fructose corn syrup-y, aspartame-y, sodium benzoate-y drinks. Once in a while, yes, I'll put on my "fun parent" hat and allow her to enjoy some, as I do with candy and sweets. But it'll be in an exceptional situation: A birthday party or a vacation; not part of her regular routine. And as silly as that may sound to some, that's my decision, not the school's.

Do you let your kids have soda?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karlie2
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM
7 moms liked this
I think the problem here is the ridiculous amount of pressure that goes with these standardized tests.
When your funding depends on how well you do on these tests it's no wonder some school pulled a stunt like this.
PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM
No. Caffeine is addictive. They do have Sprite occasionally.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

We are a soda free family, so I would have been angry.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

We do sometimes.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:05 AM

My 8 year old has soda occasionally...like once every 6 months.

My 4 year old has never had it.

My 2 year old has been known to sneak sips of my Diet Pepsi when I'm not looking.

I would be annoyed at the school for offering such an unhealthy beverage.

mcginnisc
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM
We allow it on occasion... however, never Mt. Dew as it has so much caffeine in it. I would not have been happy.
spastic_poodle
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Not very often, and certainly not anything with caffeine. I'd be upset and I'd say something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyxdos
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM
This

Quoting PinkParadox: No. Caffeine is addictive. They do have Sprite occasionally.
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I only let my children have soda on special occasions.   It should be a parental decision, not the school's.

my4kids274
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Honestly my kids really do not even like soda. They like water and milk and once in a while they will have Gatorade.  :/

Mostly the only soda we have in the house is Diet Coke and my husband drinks that.

I would be upset if they school did that though.  It is not their place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)