Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I'll open my legs for whomever I want. You don't get to dictate that.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM
  • 671 Replies
111 moms liked this

During the abortion discussions, the phrase (in one form or another) used so often referring to women keeping their legs closed is starting to wear thin.

Women are sexual beings.  It's a healthy and natural act for two consenting adults and plays an important role in loving relationships.  When I see 'women should keep their legs closed' used as a solution to avoiding unintended pregnancy, it implies to me that women who have abortions must be sluts opening their legs for every man who wants in.  Half of all women getting abortions were using contraception and most are in a relationship.  No birth control method is 100% effective, and to tell women they shouldn't be having sex unless they are ready to be a mother is neither realistic nor natural... and I can't see men going along with that solution, either.

Women do not use abortion as a form of birth control.  I'm not saying there aren't women out there who have had multiple abortions, but they are the exception - not the rule.  

I guess the point I'm trying to make is telling women to keep their legs closed not only places the blame solely on the woman (remember: it takes two to tango), but it also adds nothing but slut blaming to the discussion without offering any real solutions. 

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM
71 moms liked this

clapping

no shit. I HATE the fucking self appointed purity police. 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM
6 moms liked this

BOOM!

and bravo, and well stated.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:17 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

Says the lady with the sheela na gig holding it wiiiide open ;)

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:19 PM
7 moms liked this

Sile's sex-positive and pre-puritan! 

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting autodidact:

Says the lady with the sheela na gig holding it wiiiide open ;)

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM
10 moms liked this
I really hate that phrase lol. It implies that women getting abortions are sluts having one night stands. Married women have abortions too but the same people would not dream of denying their SO sex.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM
49 moms liked this

put your legs in the air

wave 'em like you just don't care! 

nopenope666
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
This. All of this!
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:24 PM
27 moms liked this

I don't care who you sleep with, but women seem to forget that sex causes babies. If I get in a car without a seatbelt and then get hurt in an accident, I don't get to insist that I have the right not to wear a seatbelt while whining about getting hurt. Actions have consequences. Have sex as much as you want, but know that pregnancy is a risk.

There is a "quick fix" for pregnancy. What would you do if your husband had Herpes or AIDS? You know that condoms are not 100%. Would you still think that telling a woman not to have sex is unrealistic?

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

put your legs in the air

wave 'em like you just don't care! 

Put your legs up,

Put your legs up!

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM
22 moms liked this

I'm posting this as a menopausal woman who really has no interest in sex (damn hormones) but damnit, I was an eager partner back in the day.

I have had two unplanned pregnancies in my life - one resulted in a miscarriage, the other my middle daughter.  My first pregnancy would have resulted in an abortion if I had not miscarried for reasons I won't share because my reasons are private and no one's business.  In fact, I married my high school sweetheart - and the only man I have ever had sex with.  I'm hardly a slut.

I'm 53 years old.  I've lots of female friends, and lots of stories about our various pregnancies throughout our childbearing years.  Some resulted in abortions, and none decided upon lightly.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)